Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Curving Gutters Clogged

Posted by brucegz (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 28, 09 at 13:19

Modern post 'n beam, a sweetheart of a house if ya like interesting maintenance and lots of it!. Flat rooves abound with a couple of small shingled areas. Because of the flat roof overhangs, the gutters lead to drains that then bend back toward the house and in a couple of cases bend again back toward the house lower before entering a PVC dump out away from the foundation.

For some reason, probably not blowing the drains/leaves last fall enough, this year the drains clogged badly. This never happened in 15 years. A couple I've been able to push the muck through using a light bulb extender. But 1 off the top roof, bends to high up and it's inaccessible from down below.

What is the best bang for buck drain auger? Any other suggestions for these situations are much appreciated.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Curving Gutters Clogged

Sounds like the downspouts are clogged?

The typical thin aluminum is easily damaged with a plumbing type drain auger.

A garden hose will often work well enough to clear them.

You may have to work from the top or the bottom depending on how clogged they are.

Careful use of a hand powered drain auger can help, but it tends to just drill a small hole through the clog without really removing it.

You may even need to alternate the hand auger and the hose, or actually take the downspouts apart to clear them.

o
RE: Curving Gutters Clogged

Thanks for the idea. I bought one of those Ridgid augers that you attach a hand drill to. It worked pretty well, didn't go through the alluminum best I can tell and I think the drains are open now. I need to run water /pressure washer through them to make sure. The runs are pretty long.

Thanks for the help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here