Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deadbolt sizes

Posted by grandmum (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 12:54

Are deadbolt holes generally a universal size. Or in other words, are the deadbolts in the stores "universal" size or do I have to remove deadbolt and measure hole before buying a new lock?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deadbolt sizes

The hole is usually 2 1/8 "

You need to know the backset. (Edge of the door to center of the lock).

2 3/8 ' and 2 3/4" are standard.

Some locks adjust for either backset.

Nothing is universal and a quick check with a tape is always good.

o

If you have a door with a 1 1/2" hole already, you can opt to use a surface deadbolt, or find a small mortise deadbolt that uses that size of hole. I have an old house and did not wish to make the holes bigger, so I have one of each, a NOS mortise deadbolt from the 30's and a surface "nightlatch" deadbolt.
Casey

o

thanks for the info.

When you replace a deadbolt, do you usually leave the old strike plate (with the long screws into the frame) in place or do you remove that as well and put the new one in.

My thinking is you leave the old since you dont want to be removing the 3 inch wood screws that are in there for security.

Same question with handle as well.

o

That is completely up to you. Those screws being removed a time or two will not cause any issues.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here