Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone give me an idea of how much this roof repair might cost?

Posted by susans02 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 13, 06 at 12:50

We need to have the collars around our vent pipes replaced. The rubber has cracked and we get water dripping into our attic (which in turn leaves a nice brown spot on our guest bedroom ceiling). I got a quote of $600 - that seems high - or any roof repair high?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone give me an idea of how much this roof repair might cos

How many vent pipes? This seems a bit high although it's hard to know without realizing all that is involved.

Go to a home store and price out the part and asked what is involved in replacement. This may be a DIY job provided you feel it is safe enough to work yourself. There are some roofs I will not go onto. A safety rope anchored/tied down on the opposite side of the house would be helpful.

Figure on $50/hr labor at a minimum to hire someone. If it's a three hour job and the part costs $50 then you should pay no more than $200.

o

I think there are four pipes - 2 NEED to be fixed the other 2 are Ok (I think) but we figured we'd redo the collars at the same time. DH WILL NOT get on a roof and theres no way I'll do it. So it's a project that we need someone else to do.

o

Here's my quote:

4 Plumbing Collars @ 10.95 each. $43.80 plus tax

Service call to jobsite: $65.00 (that includes picking up supplies)If customer supplies parts and are not correct size, then $100 to return to get correct parts.

Shingles if required. $15 per bundle.
Flashing caulk: $4.25 (the good stuff)

Hourly rate at jobsite: $55 per hour.

Estimated time: 1 hour.

You should also get a roof inspection. If the plumbing collars are failing, it's a good bet that the roof is approaching the end of its service.

o

what is the access to the roof? What pitch? How high?

$600 may be strong but then again there may be extenuating circumstances. Small jobs sometimes pay a premium because if there is plenty of work in the area, then nobody wants to stop/take on a small job unless you "make it worth thier while".

Rule of thumb is to get three independent estimates for the same work and see where the numbers fall.

o
Thanks

Roof is only 10 years old - They put rubber collars on and due to sun - they've (or maybe just one) has cracked. Other than that the roof is in good shape (had it inspected 4 years ago when we moved in). I'm getting another contractor out tomorrow - $600 seems really high. The pitch is average to high I guess - it's a 5 bedroom colonial.

o

We paid $250 about a year ago to get 2 collars put on, it was actually a flat fee since it was considered such a small job. So it would have been even less if they would have charged us the actual cost.

o
Mellody27

Mellody27 - another guy came out - $250 for 2 and $400 for all. I'm temped to just go w/the 2 that I know need fixing, but since they were all put on at the same time, I feel like we should do all 4 now instead of later. It's still better than $600!

o

not for anything.... $400? $600? what's it worth to you not to see new water stains in your ceiling? sounds like you're in the same boat as mellody...small job and you're going to buy services for 1/2 day or a full day. My advice is to get them all done and don't worry about leaks at the penetrations anymore.

Good luck

o

Its really hard to estimate what it might cost� have you had someone come out and give you a professional opinion on the damage? Most roof contractors can come out and look without you even being home. I would suggest getting at least 3 estimates to get a more realistic number.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roofing

o

Nh320,

Considering this post is 7 years old, I'd assume that they have already had the work done.
Or maybe you're worried that the replacement parts need to be replaced again. That's very kind of you.

I hate spammers.

o

Great forum thread post for Real Estate,thanks for the post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miami Rental Property

o

would I call a roofing contractor or a handyman to do this work. I'm actually glad this old post came up because I am having the same problem but with only one dryer vent area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here