Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gap between driveway and foundation wall

Posted by huskymaniacny (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 15, 06 at 12:50

I want to "seal" this gap to prevent water from draining into the ground right next to the foundation wall. I have tried driveway gap sealer and blackjack caulk and both cracked over time.
Now I am thinking about aluminum flashing. I plan to paint it black and seal one edge to the driveway with blackjack caulk (elastomeric). I will let the opposite edge just sit up against the foundation wall. As the driveway heaves, the aluminum flashing should just slide up and down the wall. Picture the flashing being bent into quarter cylinder shape with one side being caulked to the driveway. This should catch any rain dripping off the siding of the house and should block any water that puddles on the low spots of the driveway from emptying into that gap. One challenging issue is that I have an inside corner to deal with. The front of my garage sits back about 10 feet from the front of the house so there is an inside corner where the front of the garage meets the side of the house.

Any other suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gap between driveway and foundation wall

You should consider trying a high quality self leveling polyurethane sealer to seal the crack. One such product is made by Sika (comes in a caulking gun) is available at Home Depot. I belive it is typically sold in the same area as the concrete products.

o

Will that be water tight? And what will it do as the driveway heaves up and down with changes in temperature?

This blackjack caulk is supposed to be elastomeric but even it cracked over time.

o

I don't know what blackjack caulk is, but my experience with polyurethane sealants has shown that they are very flexible and stretch a lot.

o

How big of a gap can they seal and do they seal water tight to both concrete and asphalt?

o

I've filled gaps several inches wide, right up against my house in frost prone Pennsylvania, with mortar cement. I did it in 1998 and it still looks good. Macadam is supposed to have a good base of stone which should prevent most heaving.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here