Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andee_gw

Lost drill chuck key -- what can I use?

andee_gw
15 years ago

I've lost the key. Is there anything I can use instead until I can get to the store? I tried to use pliers, but can't seem to rotate any part of it. Sure do want to get those curtain rods installed ASAP!

Comments (19)

• User
    15 years ago

You will need two pairs of slip joint pliers, one to hold the collar and the other to turn the chuck.

• andee_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Handymac. I think I must have really tightened it with the key.

• sdello
    15 years ago

you can always get a replacement chuck key.

Here is a link that might be useful: chuck key

• hendricus
    15 years ago

---Is there anything I can use instead until I can get to the store?---

sdello: I think you missed this part in the original post.

• lbpod
    15 years ago

Using a drift pin, or something else approximately the
    diameter of the round holes in the chuck, insert the
    pin and using a hefty screwdriver, engage the screwdriver
    into the teeth of the chuck and pry against the drift pin.
    When you do get a replacement key, attach it to your
    drill cord so you won't lose it again.

• andee_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you everybody. I went to HD yesterday, bought the chuck key (didn't know they came in several sizes...). Went on several more errands. Got home and cannot find the bag w/ key!

And yes to attaching. When the original became unattached I knew I'd lose it before I would reattach it. Let this be a lesson to us all! This has turned into a circus with downed curtain rods and another trip to HD.

• shadetree_bob
    15 years ago

Maybe you should buy two keys and put one somewhere safe. Also I tape my key to the cord a foot or so from the plug end. Never lost one and I know for sure that the drill is not going to "activate" while changing bits because I pretty much have to unplug it to use the key.

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

i agree with shadetree, tape it close to the plug. i have lost every key i ever had that was in teh little rubber holder on the cord. now i only buy keyless chucks, and the drills i have that still use a key all have it taped to the cord.

• iggie
    15 years ago

Many Dollar stores have a universal drill chuck key is made in shape of a cross has diffent size set ups one on each end. one set will probably match your drill. I had the same problem bought one and it works fine . Good luck Iggie

• pjb999
    15 years ago

Apart from my Bosch cordless, I have yet to meet a keyless chuck that's any good at all, I have many drill bits with scored ends. I had a very good power drill that was keyless (can't remember the brand of that one, might have been Metabo but sold it when I left Australia) eventually I converted to a cheap, keyed chuck and was much better off.

Better than taping the key is using zip/cable ties, you will need a couple, one goes round the key, one round the cord, you want to keep them just a little bit loose.

• GLM1960
    13 years ago

There's a multi chuck key you can buy. Has 4 different sizes on one key.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

Porter-Cable used to supply a nice leather thong that went around the key and cord.

Not hard to make if you have some thin leather around.

I have an old 1950s aluminum cases 1/2 inch drill that actually has a spring clip to hold the key on one side of the grip.

• windslam
    13 years ago

I've used every contraption known to man to keep chuck keys handy and non worked for very long. On one drill set, I drilled a small hole in the end of the chuck key and ran a key ring through it, that worked. That was too much work so on another, I tack welded a small washer on the end, that seems to do great.

• drywall_diy_guy
    13 years ago

You can get one on ebay for a few dollars. get the 4 in 1 type so you make sure to get the right size. I just bought one myself as I had a drill needing one.

• macv
    13 years ago

In 2 1/2 years I hope you have been able to get to the store.

• Bundok
    11 years ago

I know this is more than a year late, but I recently had the same issue. Not having any of the tools on hand suggested (and stores being closed on a holiday) my solution was to twist up a thin towel tightly, then wrap it around the chuck and twist again to tighten the grip. Then run the drill in reverse and presto! Bit came right out. Flipped the switch back to clockwise to put the new bit in.

• ionized_gw
    11 years ago

I stopped reading at "leather thong".

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

a thin strip of leather or other material, such as one used for lashing things together

This meaning has been around a lot longer than the underwear style.

• ionized_gw
    11 years ago

I will certainly concede you that etymology point. Around here it is often considered outerware and does lash things together.