Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing wood facia/soffits

Posted by talthoff (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 8, 12 at 12:47

I have a house built in 1965 with stucco and original wood facia/soffits. The house was restucco'd about 5 years ago but I need to replace the wood. Should I replace with wood, metal, or vinyl? I have very large overhangs around my house roughly 18" and 8" gutters. I'd like it to look nice be maintain well. The other issue I've had is squirrels chewing the wood in one spot. Ive physically removed them from the county and put up hardware cloth to block the hole but need to consider this into the equation.

Any recommendations?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing wood facia/soffits

We have a brick home that was built in 2002 and it has aluminum soffits. They still look like new and I love the no-maintenance! The design on ours alternates with two 6' solid and two 6' lanced.

I'm not sure what brand we have, but they look like the ones in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: soffits

o
RE: Replacing wood facia/soffits

Use pressure treated wood for the facia and then cover it with whatever trim material you choose for your soffits. Metal or vinyl are two popular choices, and both are fairly easy to DIY if you have a couple of ladders or scaffolding. We chose to use metal from the same manufacturer that made our metal roof and it's a system where it all works to lock together.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here