Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wardy_gw

Craftsman 1/2 HP GDO stopped working

wardy
15 years ago

I have a 1/2 hp Craftsman GDO, which is probably older, maybe 15 years or so. This morning I pushed the button inside the garage and it opened up just fine. When I got in my car and pushed the button, nothing happened. So, I tried from the panel on the outside, still nothing. When I went inside the garage and pushed the button, I heard a "humming" sound - like power was going to the unit and trying to operate it but no movement whatsoever. I checked to make sure the track was clean, no obstructions to the sensors, manually opened and closed the door several times but it's the same thing, just a power humming for a few seconds.

Could the motor have given out that quickly? As I said, it opened the door just fine but then wouldn't close it. The light doesn't "blink" off and on like there's a problem. In fact, the light comes on just as it should, then goes off after a minute or two - just as it should. I unplugged it and then plugged it back in to no avail.

Is it expensive to have someone look at it, and who would I call anyway? Sears? It's long past warranty to be sure.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

John

Comments (2)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus