Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnm865

Sears garage door opener stopped working

johnm865
17 years ago

My Sears Craftsman garage door opener, model 139.53677SRT stopped working after a thunderstorm last week. The light comes on if I press the wall switch or remote but nothing else happens. I wall switch light was flickering and I reset it by pressing and holding the lock button but the motor still does not work. Also, the block sensors still seem to work because the light will flash if I block them. This unit is about 9 years old.

Did the electrical storm blow out something in the unit and cause this? The opener worked fine just before the storm.

Comments (7)

• Don_
    17 years ago

It sure sounds like your logic board has been zapped by lightning. You can pull the board out (not all that hard) and look for burned or missing traces. Be sure to unplug the unit first.

• normel
    17 years ago

Probably a blown board, but just as a check, try unplugging the unit for about 5 minutes, then plug back in and try to operate.

• johnm865
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I unplugged the unit for several hours and it still does not work. I will look at the logic board too to comfirm. I guess I will be getting a new opener...good thing they are on sale right now.

• cyndiinc_aol_com
    16 years ago

I recently changed the drive gear and worm gear assy. when tested the door opened 8 inches than reversed 8 inches and stopped ( from wall control).replaced interruper cup assy. limit switch works fine. remotes do not work.any suggestions?

• doorguy06
    16 years ago

cyndi reed,

Do the remotes not work at all or are they presenting the same problem that happens when you hit your wall button? If it is the same problem, when you replaced the worm gear, you may not have had the motor shaft pushed all the way back when you tightened the coupler on the end of the shaft. Try loosening the coupler and pushing the front of motor shaft all the way back. While holding the shaft tighten that coupler back up and see if it works.

• hannamanna
    15 years ago

My guy installed an external frequency unit. It has it's own 'red' learner button. We used same frequency (535) that opener was built with. It's by Lift-Master called the Security+ Universal Radio Control. Don't let the glowing learner button fool you on worn out unit, it still glows, but no longer programs. You can by these units separate from door opener for $50. Remotes would respond if I was on top of door opener. The exernal frequency is 5x5'x1.5'

Here is a link that might be useful: That Home Site

• celt101
    15 years ago

Sounds like your logic board might be going on the fritz. If you think you might want to replace it yourself, I can tell you where NOT to buy it. I recently bought one from Ontario Supply in New York from their web site for $60. Unfortunately, it has turned out to be defective and they won't refund my purchase price even though I sent the defective unit back at my own cost. So, don't buy from them, they don't deal fairly in my opinion. I think you're best off just calling a local repair service and let them replace the board. If you replace the board yourself and it does not work, you're just going to end up calling a repair service anyway. Ontario Supply operates under the following web sites:

http://www.wholesalegaragedoorparts.com

and

http://www.liftmasterpartsonline.com/

In my opinion, you should avoid this company