Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idie2live

Hollow core doors

idie2live
14 years ago

My hallway is lined with hollow core doors that I hate. Has anyone changed the appearance of them using molding?

Comments (15)

• User
    14 years ago

Have seen articles in forums about doing that. You will need to glue on the molding as nails/screws will have nothing but the door skin for holding power. Gluing will need to be done with something other than a wood glue---which will not stick to the finish on the door.

• idie2live
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks handymac, if anyone comes across any links about this, please let me know. I can't afford to change them out right now, but after 40 years of abuse, they are ugly!

• drywall_diy_guy
    14 years ago

Mine are the 60s era mahogany type. I hate them with a passion and will someday have the great joy of destroying them. I would like 6 or 4 panel doors - I don't know how molding could do this.

• idie2live
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would show you what I finally did. I changed out all of the doors except the linen closet door. It was an odd size and I did not want to spend the money for a special order right now.

So I used molding to trim it out.My limited skills could not figure out how to curve the topside, so it ended up flat. For $3.00 I changed it enough to give it a different look. The old door is on the left. I tacked and glued the molding.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"I would like 6 or 4 panel doors - I don't know how molding could do this."
    It cannot.

It is applied to the surface and used to 'frame' fake panels.

The molding is proud of the surface, not recessed.

• snoonyb
    12 years ago

"I would like 6 or 4 panel doors - I don't know how molding could do this."

"It cannot."

This is not correct.

There are any number of molding shapes which are available in either "fixed" pre-perscribed radiuses or "flexible" which can be applied.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

""I would like 6 or 4 panel doors - I don't know how molding could do this."

"It cannot."

This is not correct. "

You can apply all the molding you want to a hollow core door, it does not turn it into a paneled door.

From a distance it might appear that way, but as soon as you get closer it is very appare3ntit is applied molding.

Paneled door are just that, wooden panels set into a thicker door to mitigate movement with humidity that would occur accrues the width of a solid wood door.

It is NOT decorative molding applied to a solid (or hollow core) door.

• inox
    12 years ago

This might help you to see the point brickeye is making:

Here is a link that might be useful: Frame and panel

• snoonyb
    12 years ago

"You can apply all the molding you want to a hollow core door, it does not turn it into a paneled door."

However, you can create the illusion that they are, and although it, as you say, "it cannot," is what the OP was seeking information regarding.

"Has anyone changed the appearance of them using molding?"

"From a distance it might appear that way, but as soon as you get closer it is very appare3ntit is applied molding."

This goes directly to your talent, or lack there-of.

"Paneled door are just that, wooden panels set into a thicker door to mitigate movement with humidity that would occur accrues the width of a solid wood door."

Only from a professional door company, and not those presently marketed by the big boxes which are stamped masonite and laminated to a style and rail frame.

"It is NOT decorative molding applied to a solid (or hollow core) door."

Perhaps you might try reading the posts as presented and not electing to respond to your "assumed" intent.

Myself, I intend to continue to order these "available" materials and apply them as and where necessary.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"This goes directly to your talent, or lack there-of. "

This goes directly to being close enough to realize the molding is applied to the surface and NOT part of the door.

• ionized_gw
    12 years ago

Wow, that is great info. I never knew the reason for constructing those paneled things. Are hollow doors moisture-resistant for a different reason, or do they just warp like hell?

• snoonyb
    12 years ago

Any wood material's "water resistance" can be increased proportionatly, by the finish applied.

One must take caution though, because according to brickeye, it may not be part of the material, because, after all, it is "applied".

I've had wood hollow core doors that were twisted end to end as well as others which were concave as much as an inch over their length, stratigicly applied water and let set in the sun to both straighten and adjust to fit a side to side jamb leg offset.

Finish work takes some imagination, sometimes.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"Are hollow doors moisture-resistant for a different reason, or do they just warp like hell?"

Hollow core doors are built as a torsion box.

Solid wood is used for the per miter, with additional blocking for the knobs.

One face (often 'Masonite' for size stability) is then attached, and corrugated cardboard strips are placed and glued to the face of the door.
    The other face is then attached with glue on the cardboard and the solid wood edges.
    Any veneer is attached to the face plies.

They are actually pretty stable and unless they get soaked with water 9think a flood that submerges the door) hold their dimensions and shape very well.

They have a lower sound transmission rating beacause the faces are not as thick or as rigid, and of course the 'hollow' sound if you rap one with your knuckles since most of the volume is hollow.

you can decorate the face with molding to create the appearance (from a distance) of a panel door, but hey are still a lower cost substitute for a solid wood panel door.

Doors are also available that use shipped wood and a binder impressed in large forming die to create the appearance of a panel door.

They are typically VERY heavy, but still not as stiff as a real wood panel door.
    The extra weight can improve their sound transmission qualities though.

• ionized_gw
    12 years ago

It seems reasonable to say that panel doors are an obsolete technology since hollow core doors work well. I have always thought that the faux panel doors look kind of stupid in modern construction, but I do tend to go for a simple, uncomplicated, clean look.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"It seems reasonable to say that panel doors are an obsolete technology since hollow core doors work well."

Far from it.

If you do not mind flat slabs with possibly some decorative molding applied, and very poor sound isolation go for the hollow core.

If you want something better that is not grossly heavy, panel doors are still easily available.

Try a real lumber yard.