Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repair Warping on screen door

Posted by samgardn (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 8, 09 at 11:52

Hello,
I am new here. I am just beginning my first old house restoration. I want to keep as much original parts as possible and use salvaged items for replacements where I can. I have an old Craftsman type wooden screen door, the kind with the slats on the bottom half. The problem is that it is warped at the bottom a good 2 inches. Is there any way I can fix this? Please help!

Samgardn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repair Warping on screen door

"The problem is that it is warped at the bottom a good 2 inches."

Could you describe this warping in more detail? Or post a picture?
One of the problems with repairing old things is putting "heirloom" requirements on the repair... some old designs were prone to failure, but modern fixes clash with the value, or perceived value.
But I am sure there is a way to fix your problem; I just don't "see" it yet.

o

It is usually very difficult to unwarp wood. The reason for that is because wood has grain and if the wood warps, it is because the grain caused the movement. That means the wood is moving naturally and trying to force it against that movement is problematic.

o

Hi:
I had the same problem - warped about an inch - holding the door from closing tightly about half way up. I used a 1 inch wide flat steel bar (the door is about 1 1/16" thick). I spray painted to match, pre-drilled and countersank wood screws through the metal into the edge of the door. Worked perfectly - only thing, test first with the door closed to see if you need to plane a bit off the door's edge to accomodate the bar.
Good luck.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here