Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seedyguy

Want Ideas for Repairing Old Cracked Bottom Panel on Garage Door

SeedyGuy
9 years ago

Hi,

I posted some pics of the garage door. It's 27 years old. Held up pretty well I guess.

It's a wood door. The thin covering over the wood panel has split and is peeling up and out.

A handyman suggested bending a piece of aluminum into a L shape and using that. The aluminum would be the width of the door, about 8 inches high, and the bend would form a lip about 3 inches to go under the door. He would use self-tapping screws. Oh, and he would remove the rubber seal at the bottom, then reinstall it on the bottom of the door after the aluminum is on.

He said he had a tool for bending the aluminum. I forgot to ask him if he would use left over aluminum siding, or some other type of aluminum.

He would not cut anything out, just cover the existing materials with the aluminum. Said he could take out the handle or leave it in.

I was thinking of using 2 lengths of the plastic trim stuff (approx 1 x 4), and attaching it horizontally to the door, covering the warped and cracked parts, by drilling and screwing, to flatten down the warped stuff, then painting.

What do you think? I guess aluminum would be better at keeping water out, especially as it would go underneath the door.

Ideas welcomed !

Comments (5)