Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
drywall paper rip--cut off or go over?

Posted by finz2left (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 9, 12 at 10:42

I have a tear in my drywall against a door frame. The drywall paper is still attached, and is about 8 inches long & about 2 inches wide. To repair, should I a) cut off 8" X 2" strip of drywall paper, spackle and paint b) spackle OVER the torn strip and paint or c) other. I have a pic but it looks like there is nowhere to post the pic...sorry.

THANKS! I need to do this repair so I can paint this room today.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: drywall paper rip--cut off or go over?

You need to put the photo on a host site such as photobucket.com or tinypic.com and then link to it here.

o

"I have a tear in my drywall against a door frame. "

Is it going t be covered by trim?

Tearing it off, priming (to help limit water from mud getting into the paper at the edges of the tear) and then using some mud is the usual repair.

You have to be careful that water dos not get into the torn edge and cause more blistering.

o

You can first cover the paqper with a product called GARDZ. It is intended for drywall tears but is a bit expensive for what you are doing. Another solution is to spray the ripped area with shellac. It will seal the area, then mud, prime and paint. Spray shellac is about $5

o

Just about any paint will wall paint put an adequate barrier up.

o

Gardz or oil prime first. Regular paint will bubble up more brown backing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here