Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Best Way to Repair Missing Piece of Plaster?

Posted by chipster_2007 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 16, 11 at 10:33

I am in the process of enlarging a space in the bathroom wall for a new medicine cabinet. A 3"x3" piece of plaster came off in the process. Is there any way I can secure it(maybe by seating it in some mud) in the affected area or must I start from the lath, which is intact, and build out with mud only? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Best Way to Repair Missing Piece of Plaster?

You can try to use plaster washers to re-attach the piece, but it is likely to break and be a real PITA to finish out so nothing shows (a whole lot of feathering will be required).

Some drywall can be attached to serve as a base, then use setting type joint compound mixed about as thick as peanut butter to bring the area flush.

Setting compound will not shrink anything like pre-mixed mud if you use just enough water to max it workable.

Easysand is not hard to work with, and can be sanded.
Durabond is as hard as lime-putty plaster and does not sand well at all (plaster was not sanded to make it smooth either).

o

Thanks for your reply but could I embed this piece of plaster in some easysand on the wall, let it dry and then continue to fill in any cracks or spaces as well as smooth over the plaster with easysand? Will the easysand adhere to the plaster?
If so, do I have to wet it first? Thanks

o

"could I embed this piece of plaster in some easysand on the wall,"

Easysand will not stick to the lathe well and form keys without adding fiber.
Chopped fiberglass works sometimes, but you will also need a bonding agent (Euco Weld is one, really just thin polyvinyl acetate glue like Elmer's) to adhere Easysand to wood lathe.
If the piece is full thickness adding anything behind it will require a large amount of feathering to hide the repair.
If light washes down the wall it is very hard to hide any feathering. The 'bump' will show.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here