Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshuaace

Roofers didn't install ice and water shield per contract?

joshuaace
9 years ago

Just had a new roof put on by a reputable roofing company with good reviews but I have a few concerns I would like feedback on. My roof is a 10/12 pitch and we are in central Indiana. When I got quotes most roofers said I didn't need ice and water shield on the eaves because it was so steep. The company I went with said the same thing (recommended valleys and around walls only). However, I told them I would like it along all the eaves as well and this was put in the contract. Well they did the roof this weekend and I was there part of the time and am pretty sure they did not put it down on the eaves.

How can I verify if they did before I bring it up? Owner is supposed to come over for a walk through today or tomorrow before I make the final payment (half down half due after walk through). If I do verify that they did not put it down how to I handle it? Can they rip the new shingles off the edge and put it down and make it look right or do they have to redo it all? Other options?

Thanks

Comments (9)

• joshuaace
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok. So I pulled them up and checked. Just felt paper on the eaves. I know the valleys have ice/water though.

So now what do I do? Does this require they do a complete rip off? Is it appropriate to just rip off the 3 feet around eaves pit ice/water down and the shingles back over? Do I just leave it without and ask for a certain amount off since it wasn't done per the contract?

Thanks

• tlbean2004
    9 years ago

I would just ask a small percentage back. If the roof was just laid down i would not want it ripped back up.

• klem1
    9 years ago

Since it was an add on,you should know exactly how much it cost extra. I don't understand your question,either don't pay the extra or insist they install what you ordered. Surly you didn't insist on installing it without knowing what it cost?????

• millworkman
    9 years ago

You cannot remove 3' of shingles to add IWB, the shingles are installed in a woven pattern across the entire roof surface. You would be gaining nothing by trying to do it that way and in fact cause more harm than good. So unless your prepared to have him remove just about the entire roof and replace with new shingles get your money back for the IWB. As klem1 stated do not settle for a small percentage off, you should know what the additional charge was to use and go from there.

• sdello
    9 years ago

it is possible to install it after the fact, but they will have to face nail the top row when replacing the shingles.

Do you get ice dams forming? If not, then what do expect the ice and water shield to do? I really don't see the need for it in valleys and walls either unless the valleys aren't lapped properly and the walls don't have any flashing.

• joshuaace
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Have had problems with ice dams because of the high pitched south facing roof (not because of inadequate ventilation). That's why I asked for the ice and water

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

josuaace,

I think you should put the ball in the roofer's court. Tell him that you contracted for the ice and water shield and it's not there. What is he going to do to correct it?

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

"I think you should put the ball in the roofer's court. "
    Right. His reaction will reveal quite a lot about about him. It may suggest what course of action, if any, you wish to take.
    I have no experience with roofs that are so steep nor with your Winter climate.

• PRO
    Cabot & Rowe
    9 years ago

Its quite possible to add the Ice and snow dam after the fact without face nailing. Its the same way roofs are repaired all the time. It just takes a little skill.

You paid for it, make them install it.

If the roofer elects for a complete re-do its on them.