Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buried Sprinkler Heads

Posted by smb2003 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 27, 10 at 8:29

Hello,

I wasn't sure where to post this since I didn't see a landscaping section..... I recently purchased a home. In the backyard there was a childrens play area that is covered in wood chips. I'd like to get rid of the wood chips and put in grass. The owner told me there are 2 sprinkler heads capped off in the area and I cannot find them!

Anyone know how I can go about locating the sprinklers? I was thinking a metal detector because I think there is a small piece of metal inside the sprinkler head but I have no clue where to get a metal detector. Anyone have any other ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buried Sprinkler Heads

Harbor Freight, Sears, Radio Shack come to mind.

o

If they are "capped off", chances are that the heads will have been removed and unless the system was piped in metal, a metal detector will be of little use, for this application.
You may find caps when the ground cover has been removed, or using a little logic may direct you to a probable location.

o

Do you want to make these heads functional or do you want to get rid of them?

o

You are right!! They are capped off so there goes the metal detector idea.

I want the heads to be functional. I'm planning to rake out all the wood chips and seed it eventually. But I wanted to locate the sprinklers first.

o

the lines should be pretty close to the surface. Have you started removing the wood chips yet? If not, I suspect you might find the sprinkler lines when you do.

o

These pipe runs are generally straight in an open area. If you can find the heads before and after the buried units, you should be able to at least get a line to search. The heads are generally placed so you get head to head coverage. Measure 1/3 the distance between the heads and carefully dig down. If this doesn't work, dig a trench from the head you see until you get to the plugged riser. Add a head and trench along to the next one.
Sometimes it's not easy.
Ron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here