Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tapcon screw tips?

Posted by echobelly (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 8:02

I've just bought a block and stucco house and need to install shelving, etc. I've had little experience with drilling in concrete, I'm used to wood studs. I looked into buying one of those guns that shoot nails into concrete, but the salesman at the big box store said I'd be happier just using the Tapcon screws. It took me a while to figure out the hole has to be drilled deeper than the length of the screw, and those drill bits only last a couple of holes (went through $12 in bits putting up one shelf). Any tips to using these would be helpful. Small projects turn into hours of frustration!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tapcon screw tips?

Are you using a hammer drill? The Tapcon drill bits should be good for 10's if not hundreds of holes, especially in block.

o

There is a big difference between Vermont American and Bosch bits.
Also drill speed.
The smaller the bit and high speed is a recipe for burnout.

o

The bit that comes in a box of Tapcon screws will last for over 100 holes---IF you use a hammer drill. I have several that I've had for 12 years.

In fact, I used them not long ago to mount storage in my basement shop---concrete walls poured in 1965.

If you do not---might last two holes. There simply is no substitute in this case.

o

As Handymac stated.

If you bought a full box, There should have been a drill bit in the box.

Our local hardware store removes them (keep them from being stolen) and will give you the correct size bit for the screw when you buy a full box.

A bit should last you for years before wearing out if used correctly in a hammer drill. A dual purpose drill that has a "hammer" setting will have a hammer on the adjustment collar (looks like a T in the photo). The hammer setting is the one that is needed when using a concrete drill bit.

Drill your holes 1 1/2 times deeper than the screw is long. Example 1" screws = 1 1/2" deep hole. Then clean the hole out with air. Homeowners doing DIY projects can use canned compressed air like used for cleaning computers and such.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here