Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wall framing bowed.

Posted by tom418 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 12, 12 at 7:06

It's time for painting the master b/r. I noticed that a bedroom wall is bulging.

The framing seems to have one stud that's not in line with th others. If I lay a yardstick on the sheetrock on one side of the stud, there's a gap of one inch on the other side. To further confuse things, on the other side of the wall (in a bathroom) there is no depression in that wall, AND the sheetrock seems to be tight against the same stud

The floor molding is also bowed, which to me sounds like the framing was not straight, and it's not just a matter of the one stud being out of kilter. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wall framing bowed.

Could also be a 4" drain pipe inside a 3 1/2" wall cavity causing the bulge. Plumbers do strange things to framing.
What can you do? Not much without opening the wall.
Casey

o

Casey: The bulge is right where the stud is. Also, I should have pointed out thet the studs along this wall are 2 x 6. I somehow think there's something besides a stud causing the bulge also...

o

"I somehow think there's something besides a stud causing the bulge also..."

Time to open the wall and look.

o

There's no fixing this without ripping out the drywall and assessing the actual problem behind the wall. It could be as simple as planing down a stud slightly or as complex as re-routing a pipe that a plumber didn't center in the cavity.

o

Yes. I was hoping that someone would have said to take a hammer to the top and bottom plates :(

I have a similar situation in my basement, looking up at the joists that make up first floor framing. I'll rip out the drywall to the next studs, replace and tape.

o

I ran into this in my remodel. It turned out to be an electrical box that had been sheetrocked over with no hole cut for it.

o

kudzu9: I also had a sheetrocked-over outlet, but that resulted in a "localized" bulge (the rockers forgot to rotozip the box).

The bulge I'm talking about runs top to bottom, including the soleplate! I'm puzzled becuase if its a bowed stud, or 2 x 6 that's actually thicker than 5.5 inches, then I wouldn't expect the floor molding to be affected.

Like Brickeyee said, I won't know until I open it up. I dread this.....

o

Open carefully and it will not be all that hard to repair.

A lot depends on what you find in there anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here