Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
isoanswers_123

Garage Door Opener -- Selection Advice

isoanswers_123
18 years ago

Thanks to all who had posted helpful information in the previous messages.

I would appreciate some more help in making a selection between Chamberlain belt-drive and Chamberlain screw-drive GDO. I have a room sitting on top of my garage but the room "overlaps" only half of my garage below so I prefer the opener to be quiet if possible.

What I have learned so far is belt-drive is quiet. I also learned that screw-drive is more dependable and maintenance-free because of fewer moving parts in its design. However, some said screw-drive is noisy, but others found it to be quiet (based on some of the postings). Is belt-drive as dependable?

Because there is a sales promotion going on at Amazon, and combining with my saved up reward points, I can bring the price difference between the 2 models to about $20. If you were me, what would you decide on, considering dependability, noise/quiet factors and all...?

Thanks for your input!!

Shappy,

I am curious what did you end up with your GDO?

rcoop,

You were in the market for a GDO recently, what did you decide on?

Comments (8)

• dave_mn
    18 years ago

I bought a Genie screw drive from Home Cheapo. I love this thing. It was around $200. A bit of an effort to install but thats always the case if you dont do it alot. It is very quiet. I think most of the noise come from the door and tracks anyway. If noise/vibration is a concern it could be hang from heavy rubber straps to make it quieter.

• Don_
    18 years ago

The belt drive should be your choice hands down. It was designed and built with noise reduction the primary concern. You will not have to take extra steps to reduce noise. As far as dependability is concerned, Harley Davidson has had belt drive on their bikes for years with no complaints.

Let me quote from the worlds largest manufacturer of door openers.

"Each garage door opener has its advantages. The chain drive and belt drive are good in all applications, and the screw drive is best used on one piece doors that tilt rather than go up on a track. The screw drive runs a little slower than the other two garage door openers.

The belt drive is the quietest garage door opener and would be recommended for garages that have a room above them.

The chain drive is the garage door opener that we have been making the longest and offers dependable performance year after year. All of our garage door openers are very reliable and require virtually no maintenance".

Don

• GDS_
    18 years ago

The Chamberlain Belt-drive is the better choice. It's by far, the quietest and finest opener that you can buy.

• jasper_60103
    18 years ago

I went with a Genie (screw drive) and been happy with it, but I can hear it from my family room adjacent to the garage.

One word of advice...
    If you have a car equipped with a programmable remote, you may NOT want to purchase a rolling code GDO. It will render your car remote useless.

-jasper

• GDS_
    18 years ago

Horsefeathers!! Home-link systems that are built into cars are fully compatible and designed to work with rolling code.

• jasper_60103
    18 years ago

yes you are correct. I found the training procedure on the web. I'll give it a try. thanks!

• isoanswers_123
    Original Author
    18 years ago

THANK YOU to all who responded to my request! You guys have been very helpful.

Don, GDS -- your advice was well-heeded.

Dave, jasper -- thank you for your views, giving me a balance "counter" point to consider.

I chose the belt-drive system and ordered it with Amazon. It is on its way. I will let you know if I found something new and interesting to share once it is installed.

Thank you all again.

• higginsx
    18 years ago

"You will not have to take extra steps to reduce noise. As far as dependability is concerned, Harley Davidson has had belt drive on their bikes for years with no complaints."

Yes, the first thing that comes to mind about Harleys is how quietly they run.... :)