Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bgaviator

wall repair question...

bgaviator
9 years ago

New homeowner here.....not sure how to fix this crack. It's in the lower corner of our dining room. I don't think this is regular drywall type walls though...it's not a sharp corner, its rounded, and the texture of the crack is very thick.....like a thick shell.....not sure how to fix it because the one side of the crack is raised up from the other side. What do i do and use to fix this? Thanks.

Comments (8)

• User
    9 years ago

That looks like a DIY repair that tried to fix the original 90 degree crack by gobbing on mud/whatever.

If it is a serious crack, it should extend up much higher. There might be water damage which caused the wall material(drywall/plaster) to soften and open a crack.

The person who tried the repair just slathered on stuff.

I would remove enough of the material to find the real problem---as you can see, the patch did not work.

Fix the real problem and you can replace the sections of wall and be done.

• bgaviator
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's hard to see from this pic but the wall curves here where the crack is. It's not a 90 degree angle where the two sections of wall meet.

• bgaviator
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's hard to see from this pic but the wall curves here where the crack is. It's not a 90 degree angle where the two sections of wall meet.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

Don't you think it was 90 degree when first built? Base boards look like it was.

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

"Don't you think it was 90 degree when first built? Base boards look like it was."

A better and more helpful question would seem to be, "Are the two walls that make the corner normal or perpendicular to each other?"

• bgaviator
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The crack I showed is in the lower part of the wall where it makes the bend close to the outlet. And the angles aren't sharp where the sections meet. The are more rounded in and smooth.

• mosquitogang201
    9 years ago

This isn't by chance the same side of your house as in your foundation question is it? You can sand/chip out the corner and patch over that. Of course if the house continues to move you will have wasted your time.

• bgaviator
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No. The side of the house this is on I wasn't really worried about. My sloping floors are on the other end of the house. But I did find some cracks above my bedroom door on the side of the house in question. I'm really starting to wonder if the home inspector and structural engineer overlooked a lot of things.