Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
warped floor joists

Posted by bluebirdsky (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 30, 06 at 0:59

Has anyone any experience with warped floor joists? We are thinking about replacing wall to wall carpet with hard wood or laminate flooring, but the floor rises up in the middle of the room. My husband has checked the problem carefully, and it seems that the builders installed two warped floor joists...this is not a case of the sub floor shrinking or of wet, sagging wood, as the sub floor is flush with the joists. Any suggestions on how to repair such a problem?

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: warped floor joists

It sounds as if the problem is crowning instead of warping
and a reputable flooring installer will tell you of any
eventualities.

However, correcting to a reasonably flat surface will require cutting the joists and sistering, from underneath, from support to support.

o
RE: warped floor joists

I had a similar situation. My floor had a crown in it that centered close to a pier. The solution was jack the joist so that the weight was relieved off the pier. We then removed one row brick from the pier and placed a treated piece of wood on the top of the pier. The thickness of the wood will depend on the severity of the crown. The floor joist was then lowered and with time eventually rested on pier.

Tim

o
crown in floor joist

i have a crown about 5 feet long on a 14 foot joist.The problem is the basement is finished. It has a wall running right next to it parallel another wall across under it and the main heating and cold air ducts running across under the joist thats crowned. Would there be any other way to repair the joist without taking the wall and air ducts down

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here