Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cold Floors

Posted by nwroselady (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 17, 10 at 0:26

I live in Olympia, WA (zone 8), so our winters rarely get below 20 deg F. My house was built in 1980. It is two stories with a crawl space underneath. About three years ago I had the original ratty old carpeting removed and replaced with laminate wood flooring. Now the first story floors are quite cold, especially in the winter. I had someone come out to assess the crawl space, thinking I needed more insulation under the floor. The contractor thought the insulation was adequate and to code. (Imagine the honesty of the man, he could easily have charged me a bundle to rip out what I had and replace it!)

I don't want to cover my new flooring with new carpet, but I want warmer feet. I watch Mike Holmes' show on HGTV, and he often uses a combination of spray insulation plus batting when insulating between the garage ceiling and the second floor. He's in Toronto where it gets a lot colder than it does here. Anyone got any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cold Floors

Is the crawl space ventilated? What insulation is there now? What is the heating system?

o
RE: Cold Floors

With lack of more info:

1. remove the insulation in the crawlspace, insulate the perimeter walls and band joists, vapor barrier on floor to create a "conditioned" crawlspace, and heat it.

2. pull up floors and install hydro radiant heat
3. pull up floor and isntall elelctric radiant
3. pull crawlspace insulation, install staple up radiant heat and reinsulate.

All will cost you, but 1 is best bet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here