Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brendainnj_gw

Did I make a mistake getting 1/2' drywall for patch?

brendainnj
13 years ago

I've never done this before, but I got tired of waiting for DH to fix a wall in LR wall that had been previously "patched" in 1976! (we just inherited the house 2 yrs ago). So I watched a couple drywall videos on youtube & cut out my hole stud to stud. The piece I took out measured 1/2" (I was so positive) but when I measured the existing wallboard around the hole, it's definitely 5/8". Unfortunately, I had already purchased the 1/2" sheet. I thought it would be better to be a little recessed rather than bulging out, figured I could cover it with mud. BUT, my DH says the extra 1/8" will be too thick to cover w/mud and I should go back & get the 5/8" sheet instead. I should mention that the finished result will not be painted; instead it's kind of a faux finish wallpaper so it doesn't have to be perfectly seamless. So how difficult will this be, and would it make a difference if we were painting? This same sheet will be used for other repairs around windows which will need more careful finishing.

Thanks everyone; I LOVE this board!

Comments (5)