Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Attic Storage Help! Clueless...have photos

Posted by sonepi (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 4, 10 at 0:02

Okay. What I want seems really simple to me, but thought I would run it by the knowledgeable people on this site. I have a walk-in attic space on my second floor. It already has a small platform area for storing a few things like luggage and out-of-season shoes and clothes. I want to basically put down plywood or something to extend the flooring for additional storage. It is under an angled roof, but I don't need a walk-in kind of area, just the floor installed to put in a floor to hold boxes and luggage.

How would it be best to go about it? I think the wood pieces under the insulation only go one direction. I was thinking of kind of laying my body on the already layed plywood area, then toenailing? some 2 x 4 pieces crosswise staggered between the parallel wood and then screwing the wood (plywood or whatever is suggested) into those cross pieces to hold the boards. Does this sound doable or am I biting off more than I can chew? I am comfortable with drills and the like. I know I will have to cut some of the plywood because it comes in 4x8 sheets. I think I can do it, hubbie says don't try, hire someone. I still need to know proper procedure and I promised him I would wait until he was home before I attempted it so he would be there to call 911 if I fell through the ceiling in a lower room. ;-) Just kiddin'...I plan on being careful.

Should I be concerned about enclosing the insulation under the plywood pieces? Should I leave some gaps for the wood to "breathe"? It gets pretty hot up there in the summer. In the pictures you can see the very small platform that has the plastic container on the current flooring. I just want to extend it out to cover most of the area. Thanks for any assistance.

Attic Photo1

Attic Photo 2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Attic Storage Help! Clueless...have photos

see same post in REMODELING

o

You can enclose the insulation. Just do not compress it or put any type of vapor barrier over the top. (Vapor barrier should be on heated side of insulation) Also, make sure you have enough insulation before enclosing - if not enough then toenail on some 2x4's or 2x6's to give you more space for insulation. Then fasten your floor over the top.

o

I am not a pro, but I have read and seen enough to know that some attics are not structurally safe for storage (not designed to hold the weight).

This is simply a warning. Perhaps someone with more experience can chime in with how to determine if your attic is safe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here