Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisonn_gw

Choosing NOT to dilute pesticide concentrate

alisonn
9 years ago

Husband goes to the store to buy a carpenter ant killer (basically, we are having an open house on Sunday and cannot get an exterminator here before then). So, the label says: Dilute 2 Tbsp in one gallon of water. My husband looks at me and says "I bet this would work better if I just used it without diluting it." I was quite freaked out--I'm big at following directions--and I told him that there was probably a REALLY good reason to use the product (beta cyfluthrin). I convinced him in the moment, but I know that he might use it full strength in the future, if I am not around to stop him. Am I over-reactng or is he being very irresponsible?

Comments (8)

• alisonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I meant to say "use this product as directed on the label."

• klem1
    9 years ago

"Am I over-reactng or is he being very irresponsible?"
    Probably both but I doubt he wants to hear my opinion if he doesn't take the manufacture's opinion serious. Name something good or benificial that humans don't abuse.
    Pain killers,food,sunshine,sex,wealth,motorized transportation,knowledge,trust,health,,,,,,,,,??????

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

Wondering about how the words sex and pesticide ended up in the same thread, I did a search on this forum to see how many times a string contained the BOTH of the words "sex" and "pesticide"

Amazingly, there are two others beside this one....

One of them is absolutely hysterical!

EDIT: No matches for search on SEX PESTICIDE and MARTINI - However, SEX and MARTINI taken together alone yielded a lot of threads. lol

Here is a link that might be useful: Hysterical Thread Containing Words

This post was edited by saltidawg on Fri, May 30, 14 at 12:51

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

I think he is being irresponsible, and it will not necessarily work better in concentrated form. Although this is a naturally occurring chemical that is not as toxic as previous man-made substances for such purposes, it is still toxic and in concentrated form it can hurt a lot of critters (fish, bee colonies, pets, etc.) Casual handling of it can also make it far easier for your husband to have a toxic reaction if he is applying it in concentrated form.

If he enjoyed having a martini, would he conclude that drinking five gallons of them at one sitting would be even better?

This post was edited by kudzu9 on Fri, May 30, 14 at 14:48

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

re the martinis....he would prolly retort that martinis are an excellent example of non-diluted poison.... :-)

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

Use of pesticides different from labeling instructions may be a violation of law. .

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Pay up his life insurance and maybe get another policy. I'd bet that that's symptomatic of his behavior in other aspects of his life as well. Tell him that you plan on enjoying your life as a rich widow and see if that makes him think. Probably won't. Know-it-all risktaker's behaviors are usually imprinted young.

• eaga
    9 years ago

This thread is hysterical. I especially like that he wants to do this the week before people are coming to an open house. Have you checked your homeowner's insurance to see if poisoning invitees is covered?

You might tell your husband that if using more were better, the manufacturer would probably tell you that because they would get more money that way. If you're really worried about next time, see if the pesticide is available in a ready-to-use (RTU) formulation, which is already diluted. Of course, it is going to be more expensive per use.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths