Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fixing hairline crack on a concrete patio

Posted by paulsiu (My Page) on
Tue, May 12, 09 at 23:17

Hi,

At my mom's house, there's a hairline crack that runs down the entire length of the concrete patio. the patio is old and hasn't been repair or updated since 79, so a crack or two isn't out of line.

Still, how does one fix this. I notice sealant products that are suppose to fill cracks, but are they difficult to use?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fixing hairline crack on a concrete patio

It depends whether it's an active crack...you could repair it only to have it reappear in future months as it settles some more. If it's not active land it's really a hairline you could just mix some mortar to a fairly thin consistency and and use a trowel to force it into the crack. You should be aware that the new material will typically show up as lighter and make the crack more noticeable. You could also go to a mason's supply store and get something like one of the Ardex Engineered Cement products specifically for such repairs. You might want to look at the Ardex site as it has a lot of info on its products and how to use them for repairs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ardex

o

You can't fix it. Anything you put in it will only eventually come out and probably make the crack look worse.

o

After some reading, it probably can't be fixed so that it looks like it never happened. However, I would like to fill the crack so that water doesn't get in and make it even bigger. I found a link on how to repair it and then use sand to hide the crack. It won't hide it entirely, but at least it won't be as noticable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fixing and hiding hairline crack in concrete

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here