Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hole in bead board

Posted by jmfjam1118 (My Page) on
Tue, May 21, 13 at 23:11

how do i repair holes in my bead board ceiling? They are smaller than a dime. thanks in advance for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hole in bead board

Is the ceiling painted or stained?

Paint hides a lot, including patches and plugs.

o

its got one coat of paint on it. i plan to put another coat after repairs. the holes have no backing, so i wasn't sure if just caulk would work.

o

Some polyurethane caulk might work, but you would likely have to flatten or shape it after it hardened.

You could turn tapered plugs, or make a 'Dutchman' type repair by cutting a recess around the hole and gluing in a thin layer of wood.

If you are lucky you might be able to purchase some cross grain plugs larger than the holes and then drill the holes to match the plugs, glue them in, then shape them as required.

Under a coat of paint even long grain plugs (think dowel pieces) might work, but they would be much harder to shape since you would be cross cutting them (and they might pop out).

Even a blob of Minwax high Performance Wood Filler might work, but you would need to shape it (not that hard to do with wood chisels when it has started to cure but is not fully hardened).
You might pop the plug out if you let it harden completely and then try to chisel it to match.

o

Bondo (Very similar, if not identical to Minwax high performance wood filler).

Here is a link that might be useful: bondo

o

Bondo is harder than needed for wood repair and causes divots from trying to sand it flush around the repair.

You MUST use solid backing for the sandpaper to protect the area around Bondo when sanding.

o

brickeyee, if shaping is the issue, could you use long grain plugs, cut them short, glue them in and then use them as backing for whatever caulk you were going to use to allow you to use a softer, more shapeable caulk?

o

Caulk, maybe, but it can drag and is more trouble than something you can sand to perfection. If I caulked, I would do in two steps. First fill the majority of the hole (don't leave it "proud") Then the 2nd thinner application won't have much schrinkage.

Or you could fill them with MH Ready Patch, using a putty knife. If you need backer, glue in some sticks (tie a string or thread to them so you can pull them in place). When they're dried in place, fill 'em.

o

I'd use a backing inserted into the holes and then
caulk the backing to the beadboard.

always when you caulk you go back the next day
to fill in any missed area or shinkage from drying of
caulk.

I've used backer rods for a lot of holes, but sometimes
have used a piece of foam board if gap is larger, or
oddly shaped so that the backer rod won't work.

if your plug is tight it doesn't need a backing.

sometimes we make things harder than they have
to be. I do it sometimes myself..then kick my self
when I realize what I've done.

best of luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here