Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sistering joists bathroom

Posted by gildomilo (My Page) on
Tue, May 4, 10 at 22:30

Prior owners to our house had some repairs done and two floor joists were cut in half. Photo:
From bathroom remodel

I'm planning to sister 2*8s to each of the cut joists, as well as some of the notched joists. Heck I might as well do every joist since the bathroom is only 96"*77". Is this an acceptable fix? I'm not sure what to do in the area around the toilet, but some framing obviously needs to be done. The pipes will hopefully be rerouted, or if need be a hole large enough for 1.5" pipe drilled through the center of several of the joists. Is this acceptable?

I'd also like to drop the level of the sub floor down about 1/2-3/4 of an inch. I was thinking I could make the new joists flush with the bottom of the original joists, and then plane the original ones down 1/2 an inch. Is this okay to do?

Thanks,
Gil

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sistering joists bathroom

There are metal joist repair plates available but it the joist is cut all the way through you will have to sister or replace them.

Here is a link that might be useful: repair plates

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here