Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snappleicedtea

Installing gutters, but roof edge is angled.

SnappleIcedTea
12 years ago

Hi All,

Complete home newbie here, as you are about to find out. I'm working on a project to install some gutters on my new home. I bought all my DIY gutter parts at Lowe's. I spent a lot of time priming and painting the gutters beforehand and when I got around to mounting them up, I ran into an issue.

The brackets I bought for these gutters are designed to be installed when the terminating end of the roof overhang ends with a vertical drop. Unfortunately, my house was built such that the terminating end of the roof overhang is angled inward.

I sketched up a quick illustration to describe this in the following pic:

http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/4268/gutterproblem.jpg

I went back to Lowe's and looked at the other options for brackets and they all pretty much require a 90 degree surface against which to mount. Now, there was one option that may have worked, which basically had a long metal strap that was nailed into the roof itself and attached to the gutter bracket with a bit of a free-swiveling locking bit. Unfortunately these brackets run around $8 for a pack of 2, which puts this project into the price range where I should have paid someone else to do it in the first place. (I'll confess my guilt on this later).

I'm trying to think of some ways I can hopefully use the existing brackets I purchased (at a nice $1.30/ea) to mount the gutters. I've come here to seek the expertise of those who fully understand roof designs because I am aware that roofs are engineered to whisk water away from the wood/shingles, so I want to keep that factored in with whatever solution comes up.

My house is not terribly complex, so that was one of the factors that convinced me to try DIY gutters. Basically, I've got an A-shaped roof over the entire house so water runs down the sides, and there's also a portion of roofline above the garage door that I want to include.

So, the project isn't even finished, but here are my lessons learned:

1. Get a free estimate from a pro before doing ANYTHING else. This will allow (me) to make a more sound judgment on whether my time/effort/agony is worth doing the job DIY.

2. Fully read all the product instructions (brackets) before buying them to understand the context in which they were designed.

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

Comments (4)