Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cost? total replacement of roof - rafters to shingles

Posted by dinkledoodle (My Page) on
Mon, May 18, 09 at 22:03

I know that this is a wide and broad question... but humor me.... worst case scenario to replace an entire roofing system.... rafters to shingles... We have what has been described as the worst case of powder post beetles the inspector has ever seen. They are in the rafters. He has suggested getting a structural engineer ot to do a repair plan. but the most simple fix is to rebuild the roof from the rafters up. We have 1500 sq ft, live in Florida and have asphalt shingles.

I too would like a ball-park estimate before I start dealing with contractors if anyone can help. Thanks in advance.
Anthony

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cost? total replacement of roof - rafters to shingles

This requires an onsite inspection. Internet numbers are useless.
Call a few local contractors for real world estimates.
Ron

o
RE: cost? total replacement of roof - rafters to shingles

1) How do you plan to prevent RE-infestation of beetles?

2) If you have FL-type CBS construction, w/ poured headers, embedded hurricane straps, etc., AND you're getting some/all paid by insurance, might want to check out a NON-wooden roof system, e.g. tilted concrete pre-cast slabs as used on commercial bldgs., or SHOTCRETE over rebar frame, or steel rafters w/ sheet metal sheathing, or... ;')

Always puzzled me why the super-sturdy CBS shells in my part of FL are topped with vulnerable wooden trusses and wooden sheathing... inertia and ignorance I reckon... and saving a nickel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here