Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hanging a curtain rod

Posted by musicteacher (My Page) on
Wed, May 7, 14 at 21:25

So after scraping popcorn off the ceiling and tearing up the wall board removing wall paper, and finally getting everything mudded and painted, I got stumped with a silly curtain rod. This extra long rod came with plastic wall anchors (that look like they will wing out behind the wall) and some very fine threaded screws that have no threads at all on the last 1/2 inch near the head. The anchors have a blunt end meaning I need to drill a pretty substantial hole for them to go in. Is this the best way to go or should I buy a different kind of anchor?
Now the top screws in each bracket will go into studs so I won't use the anchors, but are these screws going to work or do I need to find some more substantial screws with threads all the way up? The curtain rod is over 100 inches so I need it to be sturdy.
Thank you for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hanging a curtain rod

Drywall is 1/2" thick---the screw threads only need to engage the anchors.

If the top screws are screwed into wood, the bottom screws are just bracing.

o

The screws that go into the stud -shoud be 'pan head' sheet metal screws - they have a sharp point, and wide threads. The sheet rock is 1/2" thick - so you should have an 1 1/2" pan head screw.

For the lower screw use a plastic screw anchor - the kind that you drill a 1/4" or 5/16" hole. Forget about the expanding anchors that take a 1/2" hole.

o

I have used many types of anchors over the years, and have totally given up on using the common plastic anchors...they're crap. Now the situation you describe is good, with the top screws going into studs, but I don't know what the weight of your installation is (rod + fabric), or whether the drapes will be opened and closed. Just to be on the safe side, I suggest you use screw anchors. They come in nylon or steel; this type of anchor in nylon is enough for your situation. They are easy to install (self-drilling), their pull-out strength is much greater than the cheapo anchors provided with your rod, and you shouldn't have to worry about them loosening up over time. They are available at any decent hardware store. Below is an example.

Here is a link that might be useful: Drywall screw anchor

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here