Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropical_muse

How to remove drawer in Craftsman Toolbox

Tropical_Muse
17 years ago

Something has slipped behind a drawer in my Craftsman (big red) metal toolbox. I can see it, but it's out of my reach and I'm unable to remove the drawer to get to it.

As a result, the bottom drawer will not close, and I cannot shut down the top and lock the unit.

There must be a way to get past the stop on the drawer so I can remove it but I have tried everything I can think of with no result...what am I missing?!?!

Thanks, Meg

(I also posted this on the Garage/Workshop forum.)

Comments (17)

• lourock
    17 years ago

If the drawers are compound slides (no bearings), Pull the drawer out to its fullest extension, hold the slides and push the drawer back in about 1/2", using a small screwdriver (thru the slot) bend the keeper on the drawer in so that it will come out of the slide.

• User
    17 years ago

My SnapOn box came with two flat pieces of slightly bent spring steel that were inserted in the center of the slides mounted to the drawers---those pieces caused the spring steel stops on the cabinet mounted half of the slides to be depressed----letting the drawer be removed.

You should be able to make a pair of those by cutting them mfrom a tin can. Or buy a pair from Sears.

• Tropical_Muse
    Original Author
    17 years ago

lourock, Thank you so much for your tip - it worked! I was trying to push the restraint in from the front of the slide - your idea to recess the slide, then apply pressure did the trick!!

bus_driver and handymac, thak you for responding to my question. Even though my drawers are different than the ones you had suggestions for I really appreciate all your input.

Bravo to you all!
    Meg

• lourock
    17 years ago

Yipee! I finally got to contribute. I have asked many questions on the electrical forum and have been helped greatly by the "legends" such as brickeye, busdriver, pete, and many others. Meg, make sure you bend that little tab back out a little before you reinstall the drawer (hold the slides and push with your body until you hear a snap on each side) or your toys could end up in the floor. Personal experience.

• wfsommer
    15 years ago

Anyone know where I can find one of those Spring Clips? I've lost one and we don't have a Sears Parts Store in the area.

Thanks,

Bill Sommer

• joed
    15 years ago

Sear has online parts.

• wfsommer
    15 years ago

Anyone know where I can obtain a couple of those Spring Clips that hold the Sears' drawers from coming out? I have one broken on two different drawers.

Thanks,

Bill

• dickdubloon
    15 years ago

Did anyone find out where to get those clips from? I need about 18 of them, mine look like this:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/32624411@N07/3386447718/

Thanks,
    Dick

• cx1767_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

The part that you are looking for is a spring clip. Sears has them and Waterloo has them. The part number is M3163. Waterloo sells them for 1.09 per clip and sears sells them for 2.16 per clip. Your choice. Waterloo toolboxes is what I am referring to.

• carreyann_snet_net
    13 years ago

I just brought a new craftmens tool box I need to put the wheels on it however i can not get the draws to come out. The directions say pull the plactice tab up on the left side while depressing the plastice tab on the right side? this is not working at all. What am I doing wrong?

• magoshorn_embarqmail_com
    12 years ago

I need a pair of the slides, including those spring steel clips, for an older 11" deep Craftsman toolbox. Can't order from Sears without a toolbox model number, but can't find a model no. anywhere on the box itself. Anyone have a model number that will work?

• eammann123_att_net
    12 years ago

The slides have a sears part number stamped on them. I just ordered one for my tool box from sears $21.09

• Findling
    12 years ago

Thank goodness for these postings. Have been trying to figure out how to remove my drawers for years, but without success. Today I decided that no matter what, I was going to figure out how to remove my drawers. Just as I was about to give up, I decided to try Google. Low and behold, there was the answer. Thanks to all of you who take the time to post solutions for others to benefit from.

• lmfi88
    7 years ago

lourock's solution is excellent, explicit, effective, and very much appreciated. Drawer contents had slipped over drawer backs in my 40-year-old Craftsman, ultimately prevented bottom drawer from closing. Even drove it by Sears, and the gentleman I spoke to had no guess. Disposed of frustration immediately.

• dasmcl
    6 years ago

Yeah, lourock's tip is world-class. I fiddled with my Craftsman drawers for years to no avail until I read that solution. Got the tool out that was jamming movement and even found some other stuff behind my drawers I never even realized was missing. Thanks!

• Michael Hurley
    6 years ago

you can approximate the spring steel with a plastic cable tie. slide it towards you thru the small oval hole in the outer slide with the smooth side towards the toolbox until the end is visible at the end of the slide, then slide the draw out - you may have to use just a bit of firmness - and voila, the tab slides past the stop. This way you don't worry about breaking the small tab off.