Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vinyl and Petroleum

Posted by Brooklynista (My Page) on
Sat, May 17, 14 at 19:51

A friend recommended this forum highly, and when I couldn't figure out an answer to my question, I decided to post here.

We have Marvin Wood Ultimate windows, and I need to lubricate the channel where the sash slides. I've been using a food-grade, silicone lubricant spray, but it breaks down pretty quickly, and I wanted one with more staying power.

I found 3M Silicone Lubricant Plus, but I'm wondering about the petroleum additive in it (hence, the "Plus") damaging the vinyl. Does anyone know?

If anyone has a specific product that they use, I would be interested in knowing what it is.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vinyl and Petroleum

A lithium based lubricant like Lubriplate or Amsoil is what is used in situations where it needs to be weatherproof, like garage doors. I'd call Marvin on Monday and ask them what they recommend, and see if that's OK with them.

In addition, if your windows bind frequently, perhaps they are slightly racked, or not enough expansion gap was left in the rough opening. I'd get out a level and check the first situation. If the RO is too small, not a lot can be done at this point.

o

I agree with Holly and vinyl jamb liners really should never need to be lubricated with a proper install as he mentions as well.

o

Wellllll, be that as it may, these need to be lubricated. The Lubrisol that you mentioned is petroleum based, so a no-go. The search continues!

o

what would be wrong with furniture paste wax?

-dkenny

o

Pam cooking spray?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here