Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Cordless Trimmer Repair Help

Posted by lawyerguy (My Page) on
Sun, May 24, 09 at 17:51

I have a cordless Craftsman hedge trimmer, # 240.74802 in which I can't get to charge. The unit is about 3.5 yrs old with limited use.
I plug the unit in to charge and as I have done numerous times and the red light on the charger comes on showing that it is charging. Numerous hrs later(1 plus days) it is still "charging." Never turns green on the charger or actually charges up. If I attempt to run the trimmer while still in the charger unit, the trimmer runs but if I take the trimmer out of the trimmer charger, it does nothing.

Any ideas what the problem could be? Is it possibly the trimmer, the charger, both?? I don't want to have to take it somewhere to look at it because they will probably charge me about as much to look at it as a new one may cost....I took it back to Sears and they were of no help. Any assistance would be appreciated.


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Cordless Trimmer Repair Help

Sounds like the battery is no good anymore. Probably cost more than the trimmer for a new battery.


 o
RE: Cordless Trimmer Repair Help

agreed that the battery is probably toast. Open the case and see what the battery looks like. You may be able to find a cheap replacement on line, but as joed says it might cost as much as a whole new trimmer.


 o
RE: Cordless Trimmer Repair Help

Your statement abut limited use tells the story. These batteries slowly lose their charge while sitting idle. This is partly why the smart chargers came into being. When the battery discharges too far it cannot recover, hence the red light that never turns green. Nowdays most if not all cordless tool manufactures recommend that you keep the battery on the charger at all times when not in use. The charger senses that the battery is fully charged and stops charging and then when the battery discharges low enough the charger kicks on and recharges.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here