Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buyitjody

Want to create attic storage space

buyitjody
13 years ago

On our "to do" list is creating more attic space for storage. My husband wants to put plywood up there. I think we are wanting to do it over the garage. However, I have read different things about doing storage over the garage and how it may not be a good idea because it is normally only constructed to carry the weight of the drywall, any insulation, the roof, and nothing more.

Without having to hire a professional, is there any way we can tell if it is safe to put plywood up there so we can store stuff up there (things like Christmas tree, decorations, etc.)

Also, is the space above other rooms in the house made to carry more of a load on the rafters compared to the garage? In other words, is it better to put plywood over those areas than over the garage?

The reason we wanted to do it over the garage is because our attic access is in the garage, so that makes it a short distance when putting things in or taking things out of the attic.

Not sure if this info will help, but we live in the dallas, tx area (just north of it) and our house was built in 1999 and it is a one story home.

Are there other things we need to worry about like air circulation under the plywood, etc.?

I did find a product online called Atticraft. Seems like a great idea, but looks like the cost will be 4 times that of plywood & screws.

Anyone have any tips, suggestions, or any other comments?

Something to think about is that my husband is a big guy (weighs in the upper 200's), so need to keep that in mind so he can walk on whatever we put up there to get things in and out. I'm in the mid-100's, so am not that big of an issue.

Thanks for any help!

Jody

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!