Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tigerbinx

Why does Outdoor spigot Faucet not have a handle?

tigerbinx
10 years ago

Recently bought house that is roughly 65 years old and I noticed that one of the outdoor spigots (faucets?) doesn't have a handle. Previous owner deceased so I can't ask her why. Can anyone tell me why would someone do that? Was it because the faucet was broken but instead of replacing it they just took off the handle so no one would use it? Is there a way to check if the faucet works without a handle? Can I get a new handle at a home supply store and attach it myself or do I have to call a plumber?.

Comments (7)

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

"Was it because the faucet was broken but instead of replacing it they just took off the handle so no one would use it?"

Either is possible.

"Is there a way to check if the faucet works without a handle? Can I get a new handle at a home supply store and attach it myself or do I have to call a plumber?."

You need to get the right handle unless it is obviously broken. If you have screwdrivers and are not a total klutz, you can probably do it yourself. Take a picture of the faucet and post it here or take it to a hardware store. Get a good view of the area where the handle attaches so someone can judge if it is broken .

Better yet, since "one of the outdoor spigots...." if one of the other spigots are of the same design, you can take the handle off of that. Beware, however, since this faucet might not have been used for some time, it might turn on and then not turn off so see if you can find the shut-off, have a good plumber's name (from friends and neighbors) ready to call and make sure it is on a week day.

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

Sometimes people remove them because they are concerned that others will turn it on and steal water or leave it on as a prank...

• deborah_ps
    10 years ago

I live in a small condo complex, the faucet on one outside wall has a spigot that uses a handle that is not attached to the spigot...it is kept in a separate area (close by). It is shaped similar to an old skate key which one attaches to turn the faucet on and removes when finished.
    I have no idea why it was built like this other than a guess ...possibly since it is the community faucet on an outside wall it was to prevent water being left on after use? Or like what Tinan suggested .

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

"Sometimes people remove them because they are concerned that others will turn it on and steal water or leave it on as a prank...

"

Or run a well dry.

• randy427
    10 years ago

The other part of the answer to OP is, You can get replacement valve handles at most hardware stores and install it easily yourself. Be aware that there are several different designs, some only slightly different from another, on how they are attached. I usually go for the universal design that has a clamp that goes on the valve stem and the handle then attaches to the clamp. More expensive than finding the RIGHT one, but saves return trips to the store.

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

And if you get a steel handle put some corrosion inhibitor on the brass stem if you want to get it off later on.

The same for the screw.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

commercial outside faucets use a square/otherwise-shaped key to limit access.
    Casey