Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

drainage using corrugated piping

Posted by yelkenli_2010 (My Page) on
Sat, May 8, 10 at 16:05

I have two downspouts with 4" corrugated pipes coming off their ends. they need to come together in a Y and then continue draining downhill away from the house.

I have two problems. 1) the T's and Y's at the store have 3 female ends. I would expect one end to be male, so that it could fit into a female end. this way, water would flow only on the inside of the pipe system, and not on the outside and into the dirt.

2) one of the pipes runs 16 feet across. the original installer, used a 10 foot section and 6 feet of a second section. Since the run is close to horizontal, it seems the water would leak out of the joint. the male end is shoved into the female end, but there is no caulking.

both of these issues are for piping that is close to the uphill side of my house. currently, I have water running through my crawl space. I think these are the source.

How should this drainage system work, and are there any experts or websites that even explain how this drainage piping and fittings work together.


Follow-Up Postings:

RE: drainage using corrugated piping

If I needed water-tight drainage, I wouldn't use corrugated piping. Taping or using sealant on the joints might work for a while, but the material itself isn't rugged enough for long term durability.

RE: drainage using corrugated piping

The corrugated pipes also breed mosquitoes.

Enough water hangs around in the bottom of the pipe to make lots of little pools for the buggers to lay eggs.

Use PVC DWV pipes.
It is really worth the trouble.

The lines are easier to clear when they get glogged with debris.

RE: drainage using corrugated piping

Lowes and HD also sell schedule 20 PVC (schedule 40 is DWV)

I only use the corrugated stuff if I have too. I use schedule 20 under lawn, and schedule 40 if its going to be driven over. If I were not cheap, I would do all schedule 40.

RE: drainage using corrugated piping

All great points. I had the same concern about pooling water, especially in the horizontal areas.

I wonder why more people are not concerned about this.


RE: drainage using corrugated piping

Polyethylene (HPDE) corrugated pipe is intended for use underground (perforated and unperforated). It is cheaper, more flexible, less brittle and easier to install then PVC.


An alternate for underground use would be 4" smooth SDR-35 gasketed PVC sewer pipe. It should not be exposed to UV light for more than 2 years.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here