Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azwildcats70

Help me pick shingles...

azwildcats70
11 years ago

Our roof is super old and needs replacing. I'm having a hard time trying to decide on the shingle style. We don't plan on living in this house for more than 10 years, so something like Slate or standing seam metal roofing is too cost prohibited... even though I absolutely love the look. The style we have tried to maintain inside and out is a traditional farmhouse. The inside of our home has beadboard, random-width peg floors, marble, soapstone, chunky wood furniture with a lot of gray, greige and grayish greens on the interior walls. Our options for GAF-ELK, Tamko, Owens Corning or Certainteed.

Comments (6)

• azwildcats70
    Original Author
    11 years ago

p.s Ignore the dual flags... DH is English, but he has to put up the American flag for American Holidays. :D

• sunnyca_gw
    11 years ago

Beautiful home! Couple of things I know about re-roofing. Darker the shingle-hotter your house will be. 2nd thing is get 30-40 yr. warranty shingles as they don't last that long & you don't want to have to replace them or have them about shot when you sell. Difference in price is worth it. I think 30 yr. shingles would be losing strength & dumping grit after a rain by about 20 yrs or less. You may end up in house much longer than you planned on also(job loss, illness etc.) I think a brown tone would look well with your house, if you went with reddish tone it would limit colors of paint that could be used so affect resale value. I've done my roof twice with help from dad & brothers. You want to look at neighbors houses also as I looked across the street & down the block & discovered 4 houses with same tan colored roofs. You want to blend in but sure don't want all the houses looking the same. (I got 40 yr warranty shingles) Good Luck!

• MongoCT
    11 years ago

Take a gander at GAF Timberline, "Weathered Wood".

• bus_driver
    11 years ago

It is my belief that the heavier shingles withstand wind better.

• debo_2006
    11 years ago

I love the black roof with the stone and lighter color siding on your house. The black makes it pop and adds tons of richness. I would stay with dimensional black shingles. BTW, in regard to sunnyca's comment about dark roofs, he is right, however, if your roof is well ventilated and properly ventilated, it's not a big deal going with a dark roof. Besides, if you plan to only live there another 10 years, go for aesthetics and not a lighter color because it reflects the sun better. Your beautiful house, IMHO, would look boring with a lighter roof.

We just replaced our faded gray dimensional roof with a black GAF roof (50 year warranty). I learned a lot while interviewing all the contractors. I was tempted to go with the weather wood shingle, but I wanted a vast contrast to our silver sage siding. We also have brick front with red/black multi bricks. The result was just what I envisioned, plus I Photoshopped it to make sure I was making the right choice. Our roof looks great and I'm happy with the product and manufacturer we choose.

Also, black/darker gray roofs are easier to match other materials to as oppose to brown which leave a home owner limited.

• dedtired
    11 years ago

I agree that you want to pick up some of the brownish tones in the stone in your house. I just had the roof replaced in my house and spent way too much time studying this topic! After driving around looking at endless roofs, I realized the ones that look best are the ones that take into consideration the colors in the body of the house.

My house is brick and I chose Certainteed Colonial Slate. It has a brick colored fleck in it that looks good with the brick on the house.

Your house is very pretty. I love stone houses.