Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tile on a peeling wood windowsill

Posted by Phiphirn (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 12 at 14:43

I have an enclosed porch with peeling windowsills due to moisture from plant pots. I found matted travertine mosaic tile strips at a bargain and want to put them on the sills. What kind of barrier do I need on top of the wood under the mud? Will a good sanding and a fresh coat of Kilz do it or do I need some sort of thin membrane? The end of the travertine is finished so I do not plan on using a bullnose edge. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tile on a peeling wood windowsill

There has no standing water. Just pots with saucers or clay pots with orchids in them that get their 2 ice cubes a week. There might have been rain come in on them but it got wiped up. There is NO rot, the seal with the caulk at the window edge is intact but the paint is peeling. I wanted to put tile down when we built but had no time. Sorry, first responder, for the incomplete information and lack of proper grammar.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here