Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
large dent in bottom of tub

Posted by juniornoodle (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 14 at 14:37

Hi there,

I moved into a rental apartment that has an old tub with a large dent on the bottom (maybe 2 feet long by 10 inches wide). It collects water after every use of the shower and I'm wondering what methods I can take to cheaply repair this. Since it's a rental unit, I'm not doing anything major and it doesn't really have to be a solution that lasts a life time.

I was considering using bondo or a similar product and was also thinking about a polymer filler. Would either of these things work to fill the dent? I am concerned about whether separation will occur between the filler I use and the tub. Do I need to take consideration of what material the tub itself is made of?

Thanks very much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: large dent in bottom of tub

" Do I need to take consideration of what material the tub itself is made of?"

YEP!

If fiberglass find a corvette mech.

o

If renting, I'd think about the ability of returning the tub to it's original condition at the end of lease... unless you are contemplating a repair that is BOTH functional AND aesthetically pleasing in appearance.

o

You should throw this in your landlord's lap to get fixed...it's not your property to repair. Otherwise, at the end of your lease, the landlord could easily seize your damage deposit on the pretext that your "repair" damaged his property.

o

If you are serious about it. This may work on cast iron only.
Heat the area with a torch, when it gets hot throw cold water on it.

o

"If you are serious about it. This may work on cast iron only.
Heat the area with a torch, when it gets hot throw cold water on it. "

You are kidding, right? lol

o

Some Internet advice is terrible. Cold water on hot cast iron?

o

and the landlords response?

cold water on hot cast iron..um..what about the porcelain on top of the cast iron?
crack.flake off..you get what you pay for on the internet..

-dkenny

o

If the tub has dent in the bottom and no crack, it is not cast iron. Cast iron does not dent without breaking.

o

My idea probably wont work work for you. The support, on the tub or the floor have deteriorated.

Those of you who say this wont work. I have seen a dented cast iron tub fixed this way.

o

"Those of you who say this wont work. I have seen a dented cast iron tub fixed this way. "

Any pictures showing the intact glaze? lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here