Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water Damage

Posted by holly210 (My Page) on
Fri, May 9, 14 at 14:33

There is water damage on a piece of vertical trim which adjoins two sides of my addition's walls. One guy said it was my builder's fault and that there appears to be too little drip pan, flashing, etc. I asked how could he see the flashing and he said he would have to remove the siding to see it. I called the builder and he said the guy was trying to rip me off but didn't really respond to "flashing" message. The builder said he would fix it but I want to make sure he understands that I don't want water in my home behind the walls. In other words, I doubt he will pull off the siding and now I wonder if the other guy was not telling me the truth. I will upload more pics.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water Damage

I'm not certain of what I am seeing but if the white corner with damage at bottom is wood,I don't like the installation. There is indeed metal and vinyl trim that is very effective. If that is Hardie siding,using hardie as trim instead of wood is a no brainer. IMO,caulking isn't nessary when the job is properly flashed. I have rough sawn cedar and redwood on a portion of my home. Not one speck of caulk and it's water tight. With that said,I believe splash on the ground is what rotted the piece. If so,it should be simple to cure that.

o
RE: Water Damage

Thanks for the reply. I posted more pics--couldn't figure out how to piut them in one place. Anyway, the whole piece is rotted out all the way to the top. It can be seen in the other pics. It is Hardie siding. I am wondering if the water is coming in from the top. The builder used caulk between this piece and the hardie siding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here