Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fooltergeist

Asphalt Driveway Resurfacing - Is $1.67/SF Fair ?

fooltergeist
15 years ago

An asphalt paver in the Northern VA area just gave me a price quote of $5,495 for applying a 2 1/2 inch layer of state approved asphalt on my 20-year old driveway with 3,285 suare feet, and I'm wondering if this price is fair. That works out to about $1.67 per square foot. Here is his complete proposal:

1. trim grass back along edges

2. remove loose broken asphalt as needed and patch, roll

& compact (60 sf)

3. cut back existing asphalt at transition points, etc.

4. clean complete surface of dirt and debris

5. apply tack coat to bond new asphalt with old

6. even up low and uneven areas (440 sf)

7. resurface with 2 1/2 inches of SM-9.5A V-DOT state

approved asphalt machine installed with hand finished

edges

8. rolled and compacted with static rollers for maximum

compaction

9. handstamp edges at approx. 45 degree angle for extra

support

1. widen at apron on both sides (60 sf)

The quote seems high to me, but with today's soaring oil prices, maybe the asphalt has just gone up that much. I was budgeting for a quote at about $3,500 only.

Thanks for any feedback.

F

Comments (9)

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

price to redo our 6500 sq ft lot at work was around 4500 6 years ago.

so that does not sound too much out of line.

BUT you need to get at least 2 more estimates before you decide.

and NEVER get an estimate from a guy who just knocks on the door offering to resurface the drive. they usually put a thin coating on top and disappear with your money almost as fast as the coating disappears! do business ONLY with established companies.

• ctbosox
    15 years ago

what you list they are going to do doesn't appear to cover the 3285 sq ft you stated. Seems they are going to patch where they think you need it. Hopefully someone with more knowledge then me can give you some advise, but doesn't seem right to me.

• lazypup
    15 years ago

ctbosox,
    Perhaps you should read the whole proposal instead of just the first 2 lines before forming an opinion,

Line 2;"2. remove loose broken asphalt as needed and patch, roll & compact (60 sf)"

That is merely repairing the existing blacktop to prepare a subsurface. Line 7 says they intend to machine lay an additional 2.5" of asphalt.

7. resurface with 2 1/2 inches of SM-9.5A V-DOT state
    approved asphalt machine installed with hand finished
    edges

Based on the information I see in the proposal they intend to do a very good job.

• ctbosox
    15 years ago

I'll play along and say that I did infact read the entire post, actually a couple times, now Pup you can reply with some further words of wisdom. Why some people can only reply to the op by trashing others comments is beyond me.

• Brewbeer
    15 years ago

Seems like a thorough quote to me.

I had 3000 sq ft paved about five years ago here in central New England. They removed existing 50 Y.O. asphalt, dug down 6 inches, installed 6 inches of hardpack, compacted, and installed two coats of asphalt. $4,600.

I think you need at least one more estimate, prolly two.

• davejnh
    15 years ago

I'm wondering if after 20 yrs the base might be gone and caused the cracking and loose asphalt. If you want another 20 yrs it should probably be dug out, new stone and gravel (for good drainage and stability), a 3" binder coat and then 3" top coat. If your base is not good the new top coat won't last more than a few years without cracking. Your quote sounds low to me. You should only go with quotes from the three highest recommended and reputable outfits in your area and pick from those.

• rentals21st_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

recently June 2011 (gas prices are about $4.00/gal) received in essence same proposal for 1800ft2 driveway with 5 year warranty and 2" lay. But contractor claimed its a $5500 job but he'll accept the $3000 I initially offered. Post thoughts - would $600 of henry 532 resurfacer have done enough to hold together the stones which are starting to peel away giving that "alligator (skin)" look ? Also I'll be using non-water based resurfacer (not water based sealant - see article by asphaltnews.com) to keep this expense protected correctly. This link provides costs for 2011 in FL w/large job" Costs vary M&L $71/T to $110/T
    www.davie-fl.gov/Gen/DavieFL.../ASPHALT%20OVERLAY%202011.XLS

• StoweAK
    9 years ago

just to let you know that here in Alaska, Valdez
    we were offered $17.50/sq.ft. to re-surface our driveway
    negotiated down a bit, but still over $10,000 for about 720 sq.ft. Only one asphalt plant in town and we are over 300 miles from Anchoage