Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stu2900

Stop the vibration?

stu2900
11 years ago

I have no idea if I'm in the right forum for this question, but you've got to start somewhere, right? In my small business I have a piece of equipment that runs a lot during the day and causes a lot of vibration to the wood framed floor. I also have to use a motion sensitive piece of equipment that has to run while the heavier piece is running, but won't run right because of the vibration. There is a concrete floor basement underneath the first floor. Does anyone have any ideas how to shore up the wood floor to stop the vibration of the heavier piece? I'd appreciate any input.

Comments (5)

• sdello
    11 years ago

first question is: can you move the equipment to the basement? If not, can you run posts directly from the vibrating machine to the basement floor (essentially isolating the machine from the first floor).

There are a number of manufacturers that design isolators to be placed between the machine and the floor to reduce vibration. Selection of the isolators is based on the vibration frequency that needs to be isoltaed.

Hope that helps.

• User
    11 years ago

You can sister the joists and install blocking in between them to increase the rigidity of the floor and then install some sort of vibration damper under the machine to take care of the rest.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"then install some sort of vibration damper under the machine to take care of the rest."

That depends on how sensitive the second machine is.

Moving would likely be best, putting in columns and that support the vibrating machine only may also work.

You would need to make sure the columns are ONLY supporting the machine though, as in header off the joists for a hole in the floor that has the columns going down.

Years ago I had a new building and a large vibration testing machine sitting on the first floor slab.
    The lunch room was on the other side of a wall.
    It was unbearably noisy when the vibration table was running.
    We had to cut through the slab, remove the area under the machine down to rock, pour a new slab section down to the rock leaving a 1 inch cleared area between new and old slab (it was filled with foam to keep things from getting lost in the gap).

No more noise in the lunch room.

• otislilly.com
    11 years ago

use 3 of them widget-thingimadugers under the first one, and 1 under the the other one, and it will all run cherry, unless they crush too thin. lol
    seriously I solve problems for a living but your details leave me scratching. equipment like 300 lb. on 4 legs or 55 lbs. on solid base. let us know what we are dealing with here. what kind of machines- make -model.

• energy_rater_la
    11 years ago

if you google
    widget-thingimadugers
    it brings you to this thread...LOL!

what kind if equipment are you trying
    to isolate the vibration of?