Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are these termite fecal pellets?

Posted by hotpoter (My Page) on
Sat, May 12, 12 at 13:26

My wife found these little piles of black sandy things 5 days ago, 2 days ago and now today.

Is this termite pellets and is the tiny hole near the top made my termites?

Thanks very much!

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are these termite fecal pellets?

Termite, carpenter ant or other wood eating critter. It's time to call an exterminator.

o

Carpenter ants do not eat wood, they excavate galleries to live in,

The waste looks like sawdust.

o

Whatever it is certainly is not good, time for an expert to look and see exactly what.

o

Thanks everyone!

The thing is a termite inspector has already checked my house and spot treated all the areas that had issues (total of 8 spots around the house and garage). The inspector told me the termite problem is not serious enough for tenting.

This is a new spot that we've found. I'm concerned there are other infected areas around the house and perhaps spot treatment is not a good solution.

Should I tent the house? Any suggestion is appreciated.

o

You amy need a better inspector, or at least a return trip. How long ago was it inspected?

o

Do have a small bug in your area called a "potato bug"? These are small oval shaped grey bugs. They like moist wood/ dirt. That is what it looks like to me ( or what I was told ) I am am in Massachusetts -Cape Cod. To solve this is to keep your basement and house as dry as possible. PLEASE let us know what your exterminator say's they are.
Regards

o

I live in Southern California and my 1954 house (newly renovated about a year and half ago) was inspected two month ago and the termite inspector found 2 spots in the house (attic) and 6 spots in the detached garage.

This new spot in the picture was found a week ago by my wife.

Two month ago, the inspector told us the issue is NOT serious enough to tent the house, spot treatment is sufficient.

He came back a few days ago and treated the spot my wife found and said again don't be alarmed, this is a minor issue.

o

I, too, found a pile of small black "pellets" that looked just like that and thought I had termites. What it turned out to be was earwigs. I sprayed the area with something like Raid and within an hour I had several dead bugs. I never saw them during the day, just kept getting piles of that black stuff each day next to my front door. I swept it off and the next day it would be back. The bug spray took care of it for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here