Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice replacing front door lock handleset

Posted by Than51 (My Page) on
Tue, May 27, 14 at 12:35

My interior door lever of the front door lock handleset (about 20 yrs old handleset) was broken. It is kwikset brand. I had been at HomeDepot and Lowes last weekend to try to get a replacement, but all new door lock handlesets are not compatible with my existing bores on the door. All of them are required to have 5-1/2" apart between door lever' bore to the deadbolt's bore. Mine is only 3-1/2". If I drill a new bore on the door, it will look like number 8 between new and old deadbolt bores.

I would be appreciate if any expert could give me advice to repair or replace door lock handle.

Thanks
Than

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice replacing front door lock handleset

I have a 40+ year old home with original Kwikset locks. I get replacements from a local locksmith. You may need to look beyond the big box stores.

o

Or a commercial door hdw. vendor.

Big boxes are just that, a big box.

o

.... also Kwikset has a massive online site... give 'em a call.

PS Does your broken lock set have a part number or similar visible?

This post was edited by saltidawg on Tue, May 27, 14 at 20:07

o

saltidawg - local locksmith told me to get a new handleset since it is not carried at Lowes or HomeDepot. I will try to call Kwikset today. no part number visible.

Here is the front part

o

I've done a little on-line research... Google on:

door lock sets 3 5/8" center-to-center

There are two "standard" center-to-center vertical spacings between lock "holes" 5 1/2" and 3 5/8". Likely your door's spacing is 3 5/8" NOT 3 1/2".

Take a look at the below arrangement link and you'll see both arrangements.

Worse comes to worse, as suggested earlier, go to a local locksmith or call a supplier or two. You may want to think out of the box and include possibly replacing with a two piece lock - the deadbolt and a separate handle/key lock. (May require patching holes and re-finishing door. Ugh!)

Sorry I can't give you a specific look or brand, but I've stuck with Kwikset which used to be considered a "builder's grade" product... don't know about current quality.

Best of luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Examples Of Configurations

This post was edited by saltidawg on Wed, May 28, 14 at 15:01

o

Won't the old deadbolt cylinder hole be covered up by the new plate, both inside and out? Then, assuming it's not an off the wall door, you can patch the latch hole on the exposed wooden edge with a dowel, drill a new latch hole, and use a brass repair plate or a strip of hobby grade thin plywood to cover the old latch plate mortising mess.

Then you get to repaint the door!

o

Here is the link to kwikset;
http://www.kwikset.com/customer-support/contact-us.aspx

o

Google on :

3 5/8" CC Sideplate Locks

and pick a lock

o

You are right it is 3-5/8". After talking with locksmith, I already prepared to buy a new set with handle and deadbolt separated. I also need to drill a new hole just for deadbolt. Thanks for your advice.

o

@cold_weather_is_evil It won't. But will try to use hole plate cover. Then drill a new hole just for deadbolt.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here