Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
than51

Advice replacing front door lock handleset

Than51
9 years ago

My interior door lever of the front door lock handleset (about 20 yrs old handleset) was broken. It is kwikset brand. I had been at HomeDepot and Lowes last weekend to try to get a replacement, but all new door lock handlesets are not compatible with my existing bores on the door. All of them are required to have 5-1/2" apart between door lever' bore to the deadbolt's bore. Mine is only 3-1/2". If I drill a new bore on the door, it will look like number 8 between new and old deadbolt bores.

I would be appreciate if any expert could give me advice to repair or replace door lock handle.

Thanks
Than

Comments (10)

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

I have a 40+ year old home with original Kwikset locks. I get replacements from a local locksmith. You may need to look beyond the big box stores.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

Or a commercial door hdw. vendor.

Big boxes are just that, a big box.

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

.... also Kwikset has a massive online site... give 'em a call.

PS Does your broken lock set have a part number or similar visible?

This post was edited by saltidawg on Tue, May 27, 14 at 20:07

• Than51
    Original Author
    9 years ago

saltidawg - local locksmith told me to get a new handleset since it is not carried at Lowes or HomeDepot. I will try to call Kwikset today. no part number visible.

Here is the front part

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

I've done a little on-line research... Google on:

door lock sets 3 5/8" center-to-center

There are two "standard" center-to-center vertical spacings between lock "holes" 5 1/2" and 3 5/8". Likely your door's spacing is 3 5/8" NOT 3 1/2".

Take a look at the below arrangement link and you'll see both arrangements.

Worse comes to worse, as suggested earlier, go to a local locksmith or call a supplier or two. You may want to think out of the box and include possibly replacing with a two piece lock - the deadbolt and a separate handle/key lock. (May require patching holes and re-finishing door. Ugh!)

Sorry I can't give you a specific look or brand, but I've stuck with Kwikset which used to be considered a "builder's grade" product... don't know about current quality.

Best of luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Examples Of Configurations

This post was edited by saltidawg on Wed, May 28, 14 at 15:01

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

Google on :

3 5/8" CC Sideplate Locks

and pick a lock

• Than51
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You are right it is 3-5/8". After talking with locksmith, I already prepared to buy a new set with handle and deadbolt separated. I also need to drill a new hole just for deadbolt. Thanks for your advice.

• Than51
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@cold_weather_is_evil It won't. But will try to use hole plate cover. Then drill a new hole just for deadbolt.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz