Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_nj

Filling gap at ceiling for crown molding

jerry_nj
12 years ago

I am installing a small (8' ceiling height) crown molding in a bedroom. The longest walls are about 18'.

Background: I have always used drywall compound (premixed) to fill all holes and gaps when doing interior painting. This includes nail pops, and cracks with a backing tape. I have also used the compound for various other filling jobs, like along he floor trim and door trim, including the 45 degree corners if there are any gaps.

Question is should I use a filler, such as drywall compound to fill the long gap at the ceiling and wall where the crown molding interfaces? This filler dries hard and can crack.

Or, should I use something like the exterior caulk I use outside, caulk that remains flexible and is less likely to crack on slight movement between the ceiling/wall and the crown molding.

I note too that I use drywall compound to fill nail holes in wood (e.g., crown molding) that is to be painted. Should I use wood filler?

Comments (11)

• User
    12 years ago

Interior paintable caulk---the brand I use is Alex.

That works better for any repair on a wall/trim than drywall compound(which shrinks).

• energy_rater_la
    12 years ago

caulk for crown molding caulk top to ceiling
    bottom to wall
    the caulk will allow for expansion & contraction
    of materials whereas drywall compound will not.

nail holes, I use wood filler after setting nail
    into surface with nail set.

I use Alex brand caulk also, 35 to 50 year life
    crystal clear goes on white and dries clear.

best of luck

• jerry_nj
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, and the the application with a caulk gun is a big plus. I still use a finger and wet rag to smooth out. I purchased some "35 year" Alex. Well I had it on hand. Outside I use something else that is an adhesive and caulk for a lot less $$ than the similar Alex.

I used drywall compound to fill the nail holes and on the joints (coped and scarf). The finished crown will be semi-gloss white.
    Thanks,

• blazerboys_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Use caulk,I use DAP latex caulk with silicone in it, great stuff!

Here is a link that might be useful: Crown Molding

• don92
    12 years ago

If it is a wide gap I use compound, not to FILL the gap but to taper wall or ceiling to reduce the gap.When the gap is reduced to less than an 1/8th I caulk.

• jerry_nj
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The gap I have had to deal with isn't wide. I have shifted to white caulk as the type that turns clear emphasizes the space until it is painted. It also makes the painting more demanding (masking) than if I use caulk that stays white. My ceiling is white (most common case)so the white caulk makes the gap disappear even without paint being applied.

• energy_rater_la
    12 years ago

I use backer rods for large gaps & then caulk the backer rods. again for expansion and contraction.
    paint doesn't stick to silicon caulk.

best of luck

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"paint doesn't stick to silicon caulk. "

A good reason to NOT use it in place of painters caulk.

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

Alex plus,(latex w/ silicone), accepts paints just fine but shrinks, so often time a second pass is necessary. You want to make sure everything is primered before caulking as it doesn't adhere well to bare wood, drywall, etc.

I've also had good luck with dap's dynaflex 230

• energy_rater_la
    12 years ago

good to know..I'll have to try it.
    making a second pass is always a good idea if the
    crack is more than 1/4" IMO

I haven't used silicone since using Lexell..
    learned that lesson the hard way about it not
    accepting paint. (tg it was my own house!)