Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drainage Away from Foundation Suggestions

Posted by mowerman1193 (My Page) on
Wed, May 25, 11 at 12:08

My house is on a slab with cinder block walls about 3 - 4 feet up. One side of the house is somewhat under ground while the other is ground level. The side that is underground always seems to get wet when it rains and has ruined many pieces of carpet over the years. I have installed seamless gutters on the sides.
Now I am looking to build some sort of drainage landscape system and am looking for suggestions considering I don't know what products might be available. I was planning to dig out to the bottom of the foundation maybe 2 - 2.5 feet from foundation and try to taper the ground away from the foundation and lay out some heavy black plastic and fill it back in with 1-2" stone on top.

I am not afraid of work and grabbing the shovel for something that will work good..But I am not wanting to do the job if its not going to do any good..That's why I am asking for some suggestions as to what will work..Is there some sort of underground gutter systems to direct water away from the house? I am sure there is something out there as i know I am not the only one that has had water seep into the house..

Mostly only one small bedroom is the only part that seeps water in a heavy rainfall. But I will probably just do the whole 3/4 of the house that is under ground..

Thanks for all your suggestions/tips

Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drainage Away from Foundation Suggestions

Regrading your yard to improve the drainage and adding a drywell is a good plan. However this isn't a DIY job unless you have a backhoe and bobcat. Contact several large landscaping companies for estimates.

o
RE: Drainage Away from Foundation Suggestions

You can grade the surface away fro the foundation, and even install impervious buried material to limit water penetration near the wall.

You are likely to need to dig to the footer and install drainage to have any hope of solving the problem reliably though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here