Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tar & Gravel rook leak

Posted by htracey (My Page) on
Thu, May 5, 11 at 11:44

We bought our old (100 year old) house 2 years ago. Its an up/down douplex, and the updatirs tennants have just moved out. We got 2 inches of rain last night and when my husband went upstairs to do some work, he noticed that the roof was leaking in the bathroom. I have no idea how long this has been happening or why they didn't tell us (I'm a bit irritated about that).

When we bought the house, we were told the roof was 8 years old, putting it at about 10 years now. Are leaks in a tar and gravel roof normal at this age? I thought they were a 20 year roof!

Is this repairable? Can we do the repairs ourselves. I read somewhere that once your tar & gravel roof starts leaking, the whole roof is pretty much done... I really hope that isn't the case...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tar & Gravel rook leak

I'm surprised that anyone would still use a tar and gravel roof even 8-10 years ago. Membrane roofs have pretty much made tar and gravel obsolete.

o
RE: Tar & Gravel rook leak

First, I'd go up on the roof to look for anything obvious, such as deteriorated flashing at the roof edge, chimney or any penetration. You may also find a soft spot in the roof surface if there is significant water damage. Flashing repairs are usually fairly simple, other leaks are not so easily found or remedied. Of course, the leak in the roof isn't necessarily where you see the evidence from inside as the water can travel, unseen, until it finds a low spot in the rafter or ceiling to leak down.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here