Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alex8896

Nightmare contractor - AL Phaneuf Gracewood Enterprises

alex8896
10 years ago

I am writing this to make others aware of the nightmare my family has just gone through. Recently we hired Gracewood Enterprises (AL Phaneuf) for some general wood work around a window in our home. The home is currently under contract so we’ve been doing different fix up jobs on behalf of the new homeowners. I've never had a worse experience dealing with an individual. I really don’t know where to begin explaining his incompetence, his inability to produce receipts, the unacceptable product and a proposal (Not a contract) that AL Phaneuf charged $400 more than authorized to a credit card.
Well the ineptitude started after AL Phaneuf quoted a job where he would be repairing some wood rot and trim around a living room window. After his reassurance of keeping the window resemblance similar to the adjacent windows and completing a quality job he asked for a check for $500 up front for materials (Our first mistake where he is still unable to provide receipts). He was given the check, left and then never returned to observe, check on his staff or approve the completed product. Upon completion by his staff the window looked nothing like the others and the bottom portion which use to open was covered and now inoperable. Without viewing the many before and after pictures it’s difficult to explain how horrible, with no similarity this looked. AL Phaneuf never checked on the job, attempt to remedy the mess or work anything out to make the job presentable. AL Phaneuf main concern was to get the remainder of his money and move on. With that said after the $500 up front (Did I say that was our first mistake) and a proposal that said $900 AL Phaneuf charged $1300 to the credit card without permission for the additional $400. After a conference call with AL Phaneuf and the credit card company the unauthorized $400 was disputed and AL Phaneuf was unable to walk off with that too. AL Phaneuf then showed up unannounced at the house (unlike when his staff was working or to check the completed version) demanding $1000. We don’t know where the $1000 number came from and he was told the credit card company was in the process of disbursing him the $900 and we had no control of when that would happen. Again he was asked for receipts for the $500 up front where he said “I have them” and then indicated the $500 was a deposit. AL Phaneuf keeps changing his confusing story as this would have only left $400 plus materials. When it was suggested that this is not what was discussed or on the proposal he became verbally aggressive demanding money and was asked to leave. The local law enforcement agency was made aware of the situation where they suggested calling if he returns back to the property and a trespass warrant could be executed on AL Phaneuf.
After dealing with all this we then needed to have the job by Gracewood enterprises completely redone as it now would not pass the home inspection. Our family went on to hire a competent contractor who pointed out how the wood rot was still present and just covered up to conceal it; daylight was also visible through unsealed openings in the frame (pictures were taken before and after by the real estate agent). It was also in the opinion of the competent contractor and only an opinion that at very most $200 in wood was used (maybe this is why we still haven’t received receipts). I would just like people to know Gracewood Enterprises and Al Phaneuf did an atrocious job at our home, he was very disrespectful, angry and oblivious of the difference between a job proposal and an actual signed contract.

Comments (13)

• bus_driver
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Your post mirrors this one from 2009. The writing style even seems the same to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Complaint

• alex8896
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That goes to show AL is still a thief and can't get his work right!

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

which is it libel or slander...I never can remember..
    when someone writes disparaging remarks about
    someone else.

I don't have a dog in this fight..but there are
    two sides to every story.

bet OP would sing a different story if Al was to
    post on this forum about them.

my Dad gave me some good advice years ago..
    never put in writing what you wouldn't want the
    world to see.

folks are being prosecuted for facebook entries.
    on the web..information is fast & not always accurate.

better watch out OP, these postings may come back to bite
    you.

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

Fitting;

This is HILARIOUS;
    alex8896 (My Page) on Thu, May 23, 13 at 9:46
    "Recently we hired Gracewood Enterprises (AL Phaneuf) for some general wood work around a window in our home."

Apparently, you have lived in your own little vacuum for most of your life and are completely unaware, or selectively ignorant, of the ad-nausium information with reference to home the improvement industry.

"The home is currently under contract so we’ve been doing different fix up jobs on behalf of the new homeowners."

So, you have a "sales proposal" with identified deficiencies that "a responsible homeowner" would have identified and repaired prior to the marketing.
    Instead, you got caught, and decided, being wide awake and looking straight ahead, to hire the cheapest person you could find.
    So, now you are complaining and attempting to transfer your responsibility to others,AAANNNNNDDD can't do the math.
    Hooray for you!

• xwindowman
    10 years ago

Lets get the facts straight. First the homeowner is responsible. She is and older lady and her husband just passed away and she is trying to move. For a home inspector to find wood rot in a 30 year old home in Florida is more common than you may think. She hired Gracewood Ent. expecting a carpenter to do the work not a handyman. As for the cheapest "not" AL was much more expensive than other contractors. That's why so much more was expected.
    I'm not sure how complaining about poor repair work and unauthorized credit card charges is transferring responsibility. Talk about a vacuum

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

" xwindowman"

Why don't you try back-ouoting any of those things you say are facts, from the "OP".

OOOOOOR, are you in fact the "OP" posting as someone else, and afraid to admit it and take responsibility for your actions.

• xwindowman
    10 years ago

"snoonyb"

What are you talking about? Back-ouoting of what and what is the "OP"
    Why would I need to post as someone else?
    You seem quite upset over this complaint do you have a personal interest in it.

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

The context of the following post alludes to "facts", as if you are the factual authority of the "OP" original poster, who, by the way, posted with the screen name of "alex8896", which is NOT your screen name, IE., posting handle.

"Posted by xwindowman (My Page) on Sun, May 26, 13 at 9:12
    Lets get the facts straight. First the homeowner is responsible. She is and older lady and her husband just passed away and she is trying to move. For a home inspector to find wood rot in a 30 year old home in Florida is more common than you may think. She hired Gracewood Ent. expecting a carpenter to do the work not a handyman. As for the cheapest "not" AL was much more expensive than other contractors. That's why so much more was expected.
    I'm not sure how complaining about poor repair work and unauthorized credit card charges is transferring responsibility. Talk about a vacuum

When you "state facts" it is considered a common courtesy to provide a back-quote as a specific point of reference to that you are wishing to emphasize or clarify.
    However, the "facts" you elected to include, have little or no correlation with the OP.

I do not live in Florida and donot know the subject of the OP's complaint.
    However , I am aware of the complaints that have been in the public forum for decades, with reference to the remodeling/construction industry.

• xwindowman
    10 years ago

"snoonyb"

As you may have noticed, This is the first time I'm personally involved in a complaint like this. If I don't address things properly, I take full responsibility. The complaint was only meant to inform "people" of our situation with G.Wood Ent.
    As the "OP" I'am not. Related to yes. I stand behind what he posted. It is what happened. If things were handled differently (Owner of G,W. showing a little concern to correct the problem) There would have been no complaint posted.
    I'am no longer going to drag this out. No matter how entertaining it is.
    The complaint was only meant to inform.

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

And the lessons you imparted to them regarding research, references, contracts secured payment methods and remedial actions and agencies locally available....................were?

Other than an internet complaint?

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

And the lessons you imparted to them regarding research, references, contracts secured payment methods and remedial actions and agencies locally available....................were?

Other than an internet complaint?

• MongoCT
    10 years ago

"which is it libel or slander...I never can remember..
    someone else. "

My tool for remembering is that Slander is Speech and Libel is Literature (written).

• MongoCT
    10 years ago

"which is it libel or slander...I never can remember..
    someone else. "

My tool for remembering is that Slander is Speech and Libel is Literature (written).

Regardless of that...Alex, I hope you get things squared away. Do be aware that if he files a lien on your home, that could prevent the sale of the home from going through.

Good luck