Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repair or replacing a flat roof on a Row House

Posted by paulsiu (My Page) on
Tue, May 12, 09 at 11:31

My mother's house has a flat roof made of fiberglass paper and hot asphalt. The house is a 2 stories brick row house with a basement that's 1,120 sqft. It started to leak recently and needs to be repair.

There are now interesting roofing materials out there like EPDM rubber, PVC membrane and fiberglass. I was wondering if someone can point out the cost and life of each.

Keep in mind that she live in the Northeast where there's rain and snow, but not that much of it.

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repair or replacing a flat roof on a Row House

The usual approach in the Northeast is to adhere a wood fiber "recovery board" and then fully adhere a "single-ply" EPDM (synthetic rubber) roofing to it. Much of the cost is in replacing the terminations and flashings at the perimeter and at roof penetrations.

o
also

Of course, the roof should slope at least 1/4" per foot to allow proper drainage and avoid ponding. This kind of roof is called "low-sloped". Roofs are never flat.

o

Someone suggested an alternate roof:

http://www.certainteed.com/products/roofing/low-slope/308215

However,he also indicated a typical row house replacement would cost $3500, which seemed a bit stiff.

I am having 3 roofers do an estimate on the house, all seemed to have stuck with the standard rubber material.

o

I can't imagine why anyone would want to put narrow strips of roofing in hot asphalt or cold adhesive when they could cover the roof in a one piece (or factory seamed) single ply membrane. I would have to guess that the pieced together system is used for roofs with a lot of mechanical equipment and/or penetrations.

If you want to include an internet link put it in the box provided and give it a name so we don't have to cut and paste to access it.

Here is a link that might be useful: your roof link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here